Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clear Thread

I am quilting stars onto a quilt made from the pajamas of my friends Mother who passed away last year. I had to make 2 because she had twins, a boy and a girl. I didn't want to take away from the fabric so I bought clear thread. OMG! I am having so much trouble! It keeps bunching up in the machine and knotting the fabric so I have to keep stopping, cutting and unclogging! It's making me just hate to go anywhere near these quilts!! Please, what am I doing wrong?!! I am 3/4 of the way done with the girls quilt and my husband says I should just use a blue for the boys for the quilting part but again, It just takes away from the Grandmothers pajamas. Please HELP ME!!!

Clear thread can be persnickety, you have to change your thread tension. When I'm using invisible thread I set my thread tension to 2.5. Try doing that and see if that helps. :)

Thank you for responding! I will change the tension and I'll let you know if it works. But, mark my words, if it doesn't. I will NEVER use that thread again!!

I have three different machines, all different manufacturers, and not one will accept invisible thread. I just gave up, not worth the time. Blue sounds nice......

Izy
    I recently used this for the first time, and was having alot of issues with the tension and looping around the spool pin etc. I had great results from using the free standing spool holder behind the machine. If you havent got one, try placing the bobbin in to a glass behind the machine, good luck :D

OH! Great idea! I will take a look at my machine, I'm pretty sure I do have a free standing spool holder. Thank you!

Izy
    Just a thought....If the spool has a little nick cut for the end of the thread...make sure this is on the bottom so it doesn't catch on it as it is pulled upwards from the bobbin :D

Izy--I do not have a free standing spool holder, but was having the same problems. I placed my spool in a jar behind my machine and it worked too. I hate using nylon thread for just this reason!!

I use the smoke threads and use sewers ease I think it's called, the same stuff you use when using the metallic threads. Makes it unroll easier... After I started doing that it worked perfectly. Although my old Kenmore hated it and I adjusted the tension for better results. I even use it in the bobbin. Not sure that it's recommended for that but my Janome works well with it.

What are "smoke threads" or "sewers ease"?

Quote Originally Posted by crleslie
    What are "smoke threads" or "sewers ease"?
    I want to know too. I have used clear thread. It worked OK in my machine, but if there is something better I'd like to try it.

Smoke thread is a gray colored invisible thread the same as the clear...it's used when quilting dark colors so it doesn't show. The clear tends to shine when used on dark colors. :)

Don't know what sewers ease is though.

:)

Blog Entries
    First off, what brand of invisible thread are you using? It should be as thin as a strand of hair. I used to use YLI .003 invisible thread with no problem; it is very, very fine. Nowadays I see that Sulky invisible thread is often recommended. I have some of that but haven't used it yet.

Aside from putting the spool in a jar or using a free-standing spool holder (and checking the spool for a nick is always good too!), you can tape a large, closed safety pin to the right back edge of your machine with the circle part up and run your thread through that before doing your usual threading. It helps keep the tension on that top thread smooth.

Because invisible thread has more stretch, you usually want to loosen your top tension.

Are you using the invisible thread in the bobbin also? Again, because this thread stretches, you have to be extra-careful when winding the bobbin so that the thread isn't being stretched. Wind slowly. Also, stop before the bobbin is completely full. It's easy to over-fill a bobbin with invisible thread.

I also had major problems prior to using a glass jar behind the machine. Make sure you are using a sharp needle. I am working on a piece and started having problems with the nylon breaking about 3/4 through the quilt (I started with a new needle when I started the quilt) after installing a new needle I am back in business. Good Luck!!

I use the "smoke thread" to do all my sewing when making a quilt, I just called it light grey! I tried the tension thing and the spool in a cup and so far I'm back in action. Thank you so much for all you help!!

Izy
    Woo hoo!! Glad to help, don't forget to post some pictures when you finished :D

I think Echoes meant "Sewer's Aid". It's a clear liquid that you use on metallic embroidery threads as well as the clear threads. It makes them behave better :roll: :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
    Smoke thread is a gray colored invisible thread the same as the clear...it's used when quilting dark colors so it doesn't show. The clear tends to shine when used on dark colors. :)

Don't know what sewers ease is though.

:)
    Thanks Shadow. I have seen that in my fabric store. Just never tried it. Working on "black,white and red all over" quilt. Maybe I'll try it there.

Be sure to check your needle also. I use a top stitch needle for the monofilament and do not usually have trouble. Good luck with the second quilt.

Sewer's Aid is a silicone product that you spread on your spools from the applicator top on the product. It comes in a small container like fray check. I have used it for years It reduces friction between the thread and the metal/plastic parts of the machine, keeps the thread path lubricated as well as the lint down a bit from real thread. A single tube lasts a long time and it works wonders when you need it.

I Just use cotton thread, but I understand that there is a clear polyester thread (Maybe Gutterman?) that is easier to use than the old versions which are nylon.

I spread about three lines evenly spaced around the spool when I first put the thread on my spindle. If I stitch enough at one sitting to expose layers on the spool that were too deep to get it in the first pass, I may spread some more, but only if the thread is misbehaving. Usually, with my crazy schedule, I rarely get to sit and stitch for that long at a time so I will spread two or three lines the next day I use the spool.

Make sure your invisible thread is the very fine monofilament thread which is almost like hair. The thicker thread, more like fishing line, will never work. Do not use the clear thread in the bobbin. Change your needle to a metallic or metafil needle in a size 14. Last tip, when I have really finicky thread I use a product called sewer's ease. It comes in a little bottle which can easily be confused with fray check. ( Do NOT confuse the two--the machine will not like it at all!) Squeeze a very thin line of sewer's ease onto the spool of invisible thread, about 3 times--three vertical lines of stuff evenly spaced around the spool. Let it soak in for about 15 seconds. Sew a little slower than usual and you should be good to go. The other tips about changing your tension should help as well. That sewer's ease is also great to use if you are having trouble sewing with metallic thread--like gold thread at Christmas time.

community benefactor
    I love invisible thread!! But don't use it in the bobbin.

I would try using regular thread in the bobbin and only use clear on top. See if that will work for you.
    Dawn :D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast