Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clover Chalk Line

Clover Chalk Line

I used the Clover chalk for marking a quilt top. The instructions said by the time the quilt is quilted the line will be gone. Well guess what. The line is still there. I am afraid of washing for fear it will set the line permanently which I don't want on my pink quilt (or any other quilt for that matter). Does anyone have a suggestion on how to remove the line?

Have you tried Mr. Clean magic eraser? I have used it on pencil marks on white fabric and it works like a charm. Try on a test swatch.

You could also try oxyclean liquid mixed with water in a spray bottle. Spray onto fabric and rub with magic eraser. Definitely use a test swatch.

Blog Entries
    some of those chalk lines are supposed to iron out, but I guess if it doesn't say iron out, it's probably not that kind... sorry, can't help more than that
    I quilt for my sanity!

The same thing happened to me. I used the yellow, I tried a damp cloth but it didn't remove it all.
    I will wait and see and maybe try the magic eraser as Pamar suggested.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Power Poster
    Your best bet is to do a test sample sandwich and try different treatments on it. I hope it isn't the blue chalk, I never did get blue chalk off of one of my quilts. It came off the quilt but had dyed the cotton quilting thread blue. It has faded over time and many washes but still a bummer.

How about tossing it in the dryer with a dryer sheet and running it. Don't have a clue if it will work, but at this point what do you have to loose?

Blog Entries
    yellow is hard to remove, no matter what they say. if you do wash it, do it first without detergent. sometimes detergents set marks. I used green on a yellow border and it took six washings with anything and everything but i got them out.

do not apply heat! ironing (or a hot dryer) can certainly set it so it never comes out---unless it specifically says to remove with an iron-
    normally for chalk you can use a brush type eraser- or a magic eraser- i've used a damp cloth- when the quilt is complete- you can wash it- just check and make sure the marks are all gone before putting into a dryer.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I refuse to use the Clover chalk again. I used a pink on a customer's quilt. I dusted it off, then spritzed to get it off, then gave it to her with apologies. She's washed it once but it hasn't come out!!!!! She used the special soaps for that reason, too.
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    One of the few "never"s in my quilting life is using ANY yellow marking tool. Never.

One of the "rarely ever"s is using blue or purple washable/air removed marking pins.
    Another is using fabric blends or different weight fabrics (such as decorator or upholstery fabrics) together in a quilt.

After quilting and teaching and running a shop over my 30 year career, experience has settled these issues in my mind.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast