Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: HELP with removing Clover Chalk marker lines *****

Unhappy HELP with removing Clover Chalk marker lines *****

I have been using the Clover Powdered Chalk Markers with no problems until I used the YELLOW one. I used it to mark some design lines on 3 of my blocks & they refuse to come out. I have tried everything & they are still visible. This is a quilt that I am donating for a local Charity Breast Cancer Golf tournament. I am so frustrated. All that work & now these lines are still showing. My DH says he can't see them but men just don't see things the way we see them. They have faded a bit but they are still there. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to how I can remove these marks. I have used an eraser on them & that helped a bit, used baking soda & now it is in the wash after SOFT scrubbing them with some water & Dawn dishwashing soap. Any help would be appreciated.
    Dance like no one is watching

Blog Entries
    Maybe try a Mr Clean Magic Eraser - I have used them on everything from fabric to scuff marks on the truck.
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Dawn is not recommended for removing pencil marks. I hate to say this but those yellow lines - tho faint) may be there forever. I don't believe it is ever a good idea to use the colored chalk in whatever way it comes - chalk, pencil. I tried bleaching some yellow out of muslin one time - a pencil that supposed to be washable and it never came out of the muslin. Test first is always a good idea - never trust the manufacturer. Test it for yourself. These marker can react differently depending on the fabric.

Blog Entries
    is the quilt made up already? if so, soak it Oxy clean and rub marks too a bit if necessary. I got out years old pencil marks that way. Good luck.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I had that happen with the blue chalko only what happened is the blue chalk embedded in my thread. Came out of the fabric just fine. I will now only use the white. For colored marking I use the blue water soluble pens.

Blog Entries
    I read that the yellow is hard to get out. Right after I bought a yellow chaco pen. So it's still in the package and I still use my white one, or the hera marker for light fabrics. Have you tried emailing clover for advice?

Quote Originally Posted by carslo View Post
    Maybe try a Mr Clean Magic Eraser - I have used them on everything from fabric to scuff marks on the truck.
    This is what Clover suggested to me when I couldn't get the BLUE Clover chalk out of the quilt I made. CALL THEM and complain!! I always used the white with no problem especially on dark borders. I HOPE something works for you. And yes, men don't see the things we see but even a non quilter might not notice the chalk. Good Luck !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    have you washed the whole quilt? in the washer, with detergent? if your hubby can not see them there's a good chance neither can anyone else---it may just be you are *up close & personal* and see them because you are concentrating on them...I used the yellow one time on white on white squares, quilted *feather angels* in those squares...drove myself crazy believing the yellow was still visible- the person who had requested/bought the quilt came over I didn't even want to show it to her---did anyway- she could not see any yellow lines on it- really thought I just wanted to keep the quilt...I did toss it into the washer/dryer after quilting/binding- everything really did come out just fine. friend took her quilt home & put it on the bed it was for- I stopped by a week later & could not see the (perceived) yellow any more....if you lay the quilt out on your bed & walk away- then walk in & stand at the end of the bed (not on top of it-inspecting it with a magnifier) can you really see them??? chances are your hubby is right.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Try this product called Sew Clean. Some quilt stores carry it and it is available online.

I had the problem with the gray. It's still there after many treatments.

Quote Originally Posted by callen View Post
    I have been using the Clover Powdered Chalk Markers with no problems until I used the YELLOW one. I used it to mark some design lines on 3 of my blocks & they refuse to come out. I have tried everything & they are still visible. This is a quilt that I am donating for a local Charity Breast Cancer Golf tournament. I am so frustrated. All that work & now these lines are still showing. My DH says he can't see them but men just don't see things the way we see them. They have faded a bit but they are still there. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to how I can remove these marks. I have used an eraser on them & that helped a bit, used baking soda & now it is in the wash after SOFT scrubbing them with some water & Dawn dishwashing soap. Any help would be appreciated.
    I did try the Magic Eraser with no success but maybe I didn't try hard enough. I was so afraid it might take some of the fabric colour out BUT I did try Oxiclean MaxForce, which is in a spray bottle at WalMart. I gently brushed the lines with a soft, well worn toothbrush & hooray, success. That's after 3 washings & trying several other options.
    Thank you ladies for all your help - I just love this forum. I can now donate this quilt without feeling bad about the lines.
    Last edited by callen; 06-05-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    Great I am glad that something worked for you!
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by carslo View Post
    Great I am glad that something worked for you!
    Tks Carslo, I will remember to try Magic Eraser on fabric at another time (hopefully it won't happen again). So good to hear from you.

Blog Entries
    wonderful. i'm glad you got the marks out.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman