Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Clover fork pins >

Clover fork pins

Clover fork pins

Old 03-22-2014, 06:01 PM

Default Clover fork pins

Can someone post a picture for me on how to line up seams using fork pins? I just bought some because I am having problems with lining up seams and so far the pins don't seem to be helping. My seams are pressed open so it would be a plus if the picture had open seams (I know pressing to one side and nesting is better, however I'm already halfway through piecing this quilt with open seams so I assume its best to finish it that way). Thanks!
Old 03-22-2014, 09:51 PM

Someone raved about them for this so bought some and I couldn't seem to get them to work like the person that loved them, if you figure it out let me know cause I have some intricate piecing I intend to tackle next year that I really wanted to love those pins
Old 03-22-2014, 10:03 PM

I figured it out!!! So I am pressing my seams open and then lining them up and holding them in the same spot while putting the fork pin on either side of the seam at 1/4 inch from the raw edge where I will be stitching my seam allowance. The rounded connected end of the pin is on the raw edge side like in this link:

http://quiltsbyjen.ca/technique-tues...or-not-to-pin/

Finally my seams are lining up!
Old 03-22-2014, 10:14 PM

Oh yeah, and I left the pin in and SLOWLY sewed over it by turning the handwheel on my machine. That way if the needle hit the pin, which did happen every so often, I could just stop and pull out the pin without major damage.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:13 PM

Sorry can't photo at present. I found lining up the seams so the thread parts are in line Now using the fork pin I put them in parallel to the way you will stitch, put pin into the thread area and pull up a little further on.
I found I could sew almost up to the seam between the prongs .
If seam on a diagonal mark 1/4" seam allowance on open seam put one prong only into 1/4" place and line up on the other side with mark. Now tip and put second prong in don't look where just keeping fabric flat . Only one prong is in the correct place remember . Pull out gently as you reach the pin.

Hope you can understand will try to sort out photo later.