Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
John James Twin Pointed Stab Stitch needles, anyone ever  use them? >

John James Twin Pointed Stab Stitch needles, anyone ever use them?

John James Twin Pointed Stab Stitch needles, anyone ever use them?

Old 03-22-2014, 06:54 PM

Default John James Twin Pointed Stab Stitch needles, anyone ever use them?

I was in a Quilt shop in Mexico, Mo this past week end and I was wondering if anyone in this group has used the John James Twin pointed Stab stitch quilting needles? I have a bad left arm ( titanium elbow and 2 shoulder surgeries) and for some reason I cannot get back into quilting like I did 3 yrs ago before my accident. I have been doing the stab stitch and it is taking me forever. Plus it is hard on my right hand and shoulder. ( Getting old I guess) I bought a package of the needles and have been trying them for a little while this eve and I hope I am doing it right. You don't turn the needle just bring it back up after pulling down from the top. I hope this makes sense. Does anyone out there know what it is that I am talking about?
I would really like to get to use the Aunt Becky. For some reason after my accident I haven't been able to use it. Would love to be able to work with someone with it , maybe I would get the hang of it. I know a lot of you are going to say practice, practice. LOL
Would love to hear from some of you . Thanks
Old 03-22-2014, 07:02 PM
Power Poster

I have purchased the needles, but have yet to use them.
One thing you did not mention ... and maybe just missed saying it ... my understanding is that for these needles the general concept is that you work with one hand under and the other above as you poke the needle thru and grab it.

I am definitely not a hand quilter ... and am only learning, so this is something I want to give a try. With this double handed method, it would appear we need a stationary frame as we would not have a hand free to hold the quilt.

Look forward to hearing from those with experience ... and the tips adn tricks you are looking for too, DJRustic! Thanks for starting the discussion!
Old 03-22-2014, 07:12 PM

QuiltE, Yes you have the right concept. That is how I was doing it this eve. One hand under and one on top. Yes you do need it in a hoop or floor frame. I hope someone out there is a user of this type of needle.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:34 PM
Power Poster

So if you don't have it in a stable frame/hoop ... is it not unstable?
How did you feel doing it tonight ... while the technique is new to you and probably feels somewhat uncomfortable right now, did you feel like you might come to really like it?

As you said ... I'm sure it's all about practice-practice-practice!
Old 03-22-2014, 07:44 PM

I do have it in a stable frame. It is a lap hoop with a bottom on it so it sits on my lap but I don't have to hold the frame. Make sense.
I felt a little uncomfortable at first. The most problem I have is coming back up from the back. It is hard to find the right place to come back up. I did find if you don't move your needle but just a hair it keeps it almost in the right place to come back up through. What I think it helps with the most is not having to pull you thread all the way thru, you can do several stitches before you have to pull it down tight. Doing it the other way I was pulling the thread after each stitch. A lot of movement of the arm.
I would really like to do the old traditional method of rocking the needle. I was a pretty good quilter 25 plus yrs ago but I have lost my touch with this arm and shoulder.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:56 PM
Power Poster

Could you please show me a picture of your hoop??
... just so I can get an idea as to what I need to find. Any I have are more like embroidery hoops.

Good idea on not pulling the thread totally tight after every stitch.

I really wonder if my left hand would have the coordination to do what it needs to, to keep the stitches even! I think it might be a real klutz!
Old 03-22-2014, 11:24 PM

I have one of those fanny seats to hold my frame as well as a wooden tapestry frame picked up cheap on a home made base. This I can adjust in height and angle to hand quilt. Barbara Chainey is a hand quilter who has a blog which may show how she does it. Can't remember her friend who is also a hand quilter. They both set up fabric differently but have wonderful results.
Please ensure you are sitting comfortable so no aches else where and go slow and speed will come.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:54 PM

I ave a friend who quilts as you mentionrd only she quilts one stitc at a time and draws her needle taut after each stitch she achieves beautiful even stitches that is to envy and she uses regular needle. I can do that but it is tedious for me. I prefer the rocking stitch and stab where I load my needle and work horizontally with the quilt depending on the situation. Does that make sense? I tried the Aunt Beckys device and could learn to become efficient with it but I am old and don't waant to learn it, it is necessary to use a rocking stitch with it, I believe. It's been a while ago. Sorry to hear you have lost some usage in your hands.. I have developed some arthritis in my left hand so am fortunate it is not my preferred right hand.