Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
COLD FEET >

COLD FEET

COLD FEET

Old 06-04-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by fraydknot12326
I don't know which machine you're thinking of ~ there's a Babylock dealer in Fayetteville AR (I know 200+ miles from you) that has the Crown Jewel.

There is a Nolting dealer in Harrison AR (yep, still a hike) but if you're having doubts, maybe you could take a day & check them out .. at least, that's what I would do. That would give you a second opinion. It's hard to believe no one in Texarkana has any dealers .. go figure.:roll: :lol:

Another thought .. my LQS has longarms to rent .. maybe there's something like that closer than you think .. that would give you some *hands-on* experience before taking that plunge :D
I used to live near Fayetteville. The Babylock dealer there is great and a lot of help. Very willing to answer all questions and let you try them out.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:53 PM

Hi, I think some thing that you should consider is the amount of room you need to set this up. You won't be satisfied unless its large enough to at least do queen size quilts, so you need at least a 14' wide room to set it up in. There is a learning curve to this and I think you should at least find a shop where you can go in and do a quilt with instructions before you undertake this yourself. I did 3 quilts at a quilt shop before I purchased mine and I still had problems. I still only do pantographs.
Don't mean to be a downer about this, of course it's exciting to think about and easy to get caught up in the dream of having one when your at a quilt show, just wanted to mention things you need to be aware of. good luck, whatever you decide to do. Sandy
Old 06-05-2011, 03:55 PM

Good luck with this hard decision. Just don't buy a Ken Quilt. I did a couple years ago and it has never worked right and the company was no support whatsoever.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:22 PM

You are going to become Adicted to your longarm. Be sure you have your local Carryout on speeddial!!!! You will really injoy it. I just purchased my New Nolting,Pro in December. And I love it. A Hint, when it is your time to purchase, Go purchase at a Quilt Show. You will get specials that you won't get if you just go and purchase from a dealer. So, If you have desided on the Machine brand, Go to their website and find where they will be at their next quilt Show. Even if you have to drive-a-ways, it will pay off in the end. Put on those muslin samples, and practice, practice, practice. and have FUN, FUN, Fun!!!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:57 AM

I have had an Innova for about 2 years and love it. I live in S.E. Kansas and you would be welcome to come and
play with it on some weekend. I was able to use a LA at
my LQS before purchasing mine, just to be sure I would like
doing it. And hers does not work near as nice as the one
I purchased, surprised that I really love the quilting as
much trouble as she has with hers!
Connie
Innova 26"
Old 06-06-2011, 09:47 AM

I did the same thing. I got a 1/2 size Gracie quilt frame on sale at a LQS and then I bought the Viking Mega Quilter (at a different LQS). The store told me they'd show me how to set up and use the frame but when I went there all she did was talk about it for a few minutes then suggested abook. This was after I had already got the frame home and I'm the type of person who is a visual learner so even though I can learn from a good book I feel more comfortable when being shown how to do it. This started a year ago. I am now making a jacket and the material has to be quilted so I'm cross hatching it because other that stich in the ditch and knotting them I don't know how to quilt and I wasn't trying anything on the expensive material. There are a few machine classes around here all on Sunday's which I work. After my jacket I've decided that this weekend I'm starting with the frame and machine; wish me luck
Old 06-07-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jo Mama
My feet got cold AFTER I bought my LA (Mega-Quilter and Grace frame) It did not come with any instructions on how to load or anything and I immediately messed things up and am now afrid to use it, HELP.
I'd be on the phone to somebody. I'd suggest you call the person you got it from for the owners manual. There should ahve been one.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinggolfer
I have had an Innova for about 2 years and love it. I live in S.E. Kansas and you would be welcome to come and
play with it on some weekend. I was able to use a LA at
my LQS before purchasing mine, just to be sure I would like
doing it. And hers does not work near as nice as the one
I purchased, surprised that I really love the quilting as
much trouble as she has with hers!
Connie
Innova 26"
Thanks for the offer. I'm kinda tied here at home. Hopefully I can find some kind soul close by that will let me take one for a test drive.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:03 AM

I have the mega quilter and I bought the small Gracie frame from a LQS. They were supposed to give me the manual then couldn't find it. I went online and found a video for setting it up and then I called the company. I told them what happened and they asked where I bought it and before the week was up the LQS had sent me the manual. These stores are reps for the machines they sell and are supposed to represent them accurately so if you have to call viking or gracie; do it.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:37 PM

Don't be nervous I think we all feel a little nervous starting on something new but once you get going think of how much money you can save doing your own and maybe turn it into a little business at some time. Good Luck. Sue