Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How cold is too cold for children to be out playing? >

How cold is too cold for children to be out playing?

How cold is too cold for children to be out playing?

Old 01-07-2010, 05:12 PM

The high today was 12 degrees. My daughter's pre-kindergarten teacher took the kids out to play today. Boy is she going to get an earful from my dh in the morning. Our daughter has had serious lung problems from being a premie and getting pneumonia when she was a baby, so we have asked for her to NOT be taken outside to play when it is this cold. My middle school kids didn't even go out today after lunch, so it obviously was much to cold for small children. I love where we have her, but this is so frustrating because we have had this conversation before with her teacher. She even told the teacher she wasn't supposed to go outside.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:15 PM

The school should have a policy that covers this. Check with administration on it. My school does not let kids be outside if the temperature with wind chill is less than 18 degrees. However, if your daughter has medical issues, the school should respect that. If the teacher is disregarding her medical issues, I would speak to an administrator.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:20 PM

I am wondering exactly what their policy is because the elementary school kids didn't go out at all today. It is a private Christian school that has an early learning center and a k-8 school. My son and she have been there for three years and this is the first year we've had an issue. I don't think the teacher this year knows that she has had all the health problems, but we have asked her to NOT take her out in the cold. We will be talking to her boss tomorrow.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Banned

Location: lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.

This sounds like my daughter but the opposite it was the heat. She was not to be taken out if it was hotter then 80 she would get a rash and run a fever. at 24 when in the heat the same thing happens. But the teacher's ( yes this happened most of grade school) would take her outside anyway. I would get a call after recess that she was ill. I would tell them to give her a drink and she would be picked up. I can't count the times that while she waited to be pick up NO ONE had the brains to give her the drink I told them to give her. To be honest I think most educators need to be re educated in common sense. OHHHH........... My sister was director of education for sufflok county and my EX was also an educator so i guess I am permitted to say that.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:36 PM

I work for a non-profit that has 22 early education centers. We have policies that cover both heat and cold and when the children can go out to play. If your children's school doesn't have a policy they should!
Old 01-07-2010, 06:37 PM

DEPENDS...on how much they are getting on your nerves INSIDE.........JOKE JOKE JOKE lol.

Margie
Old 01-07-2010, 06:38 PM

Hmmm, I don't know if there are any rules here, but I've been skiing in -40 temps... Wasn't pleasant though.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Power Poster

The schools here all have rules, if it is too cold or too hot then they don't go out, and if she needs special consideration they have a medical questionaire to fill out when they are registered for just such things including any allergies whether they be food or otherwise,
Old 01-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Power Poster

I can't believe that they did not pass on her medical history to the teacher!!! I would bring it up and let them know that it won't be tolerated in the future!!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:39 PM

We have policies here, although the final decision is left to the school administrator because of factors such as wind and/or sun. It is discouraged to send kids out at temperatures less than -20C (-4F). We're probably acclimatized better, though. I heard on the radio yesterday that blood actually thickens in cold temperatures!