Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color advice please? >

Color advice please?

Color advice please?

Old 02-08-2014, 03:29 PM

Default Color advice please?

I am making a black and white quilt for a gift for a brother-in-law and SIL. I haven't been in their house in several years, (we have moved out of state) so I don't know their color scheme. I want to add a bit of one color to it, but I am not sure what color to add. I am afraid red or yellow or anything bright colored or neon colored would be too bright!

What color would you recommend to use to lightly and tastefully spice up a black and white quilt?
Old 02-08-2014, 03:39 PM

How about gray? That adds a nice dimension to black and white but is still neutral. I have also seen nice quilts with black, white and khaki.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:41 PM

[QUOTE=Central Ohio Quilter;6563159]I am making a black and white quilt for a gift for a brother-in-law and SIL. I haven't been in their house in several years, (we have moved out of state) so I don't know their color scheme. I want to add a bit of one color to it, but I am not sure what color to add. I am afraid red or yellow or anything bright colored or neon colored would be too bright!

What color would you recommend to use to lightly and tastefully spice up a black and white quilt?[/QU

OTE]ASK what their colors are, dont put all your time, talent and money into something they may not like...if you really dont want to ask, then you might go with tan it is still neutral
Old 02-08-2014, 03:53 PM

Black and brown go good together in clothes, I love it. Use it as a medium color. You don't have to use much of it to show up.

Last edited by barny; 02-08-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:00 PM

I like the idea of black and brown, too. There are lots of shades of brown. If you use a reddish brown or a nice cocoa brown it would be nice contrast without being too bright.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:42 PM

ugh I would ask like so.. what colors are you tossing around that couch these days.. casual like.. was thinking of making a couple throw pillows.... and then you get the color they might like to add.. a pop. I always think red goes marvelous with black and white and you need just a tiny pop even a thin 1/2 strip border around the outside edge.. it will pop like crazy. blue also if you think they prefer cold colors . I would never put beige with it but that is just me. I know you will be happiest if you ask .. tell them your making a table runner! small little thing.. they wont guess.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:12 PM

I am working on a French Braid quilt using black, white, gray with a pop of red and it is very pretty. Gray is a safe choice and will look very nice. Red stands out so beautifully but you would be taking a chance. Is there another family member you know that has been to their house that you could ask?
Old 02-08-2014, 05:22 PM

Royal blue is nice with black and white.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
ugh I would ask like so.. what colors are you tossing around that couch these days.. casual like.. was thinking of making a couple throw pillows.... and then you get the color they might like to add.. a pop. I always think red goes marvelous with black and white and you need just a tiny pop even a thin 1/2 strip border around the outside edge.. it will pop like crazy. blue also if you think they prefer cold colors . I would never put beige with it but that is just me. I know you will be happiest if you ask .. tell them your making a table runner! small little thing.. they wont guess.
I agree. Tell them what colors you are using and then turn the table. You are going to put your time and money into this quilt so let it be right. I love RED with black and white. Doing my bathroom in cranberry, black, white and gray. Going to make a quilt to cover my open tall skinny cheap shelf unit that sells at BB&B for over $60.00 with a lower shutter.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:08 PM
Power Poster

Of course many colors would look nice, however if you are worried gray or brown would be pretty and safe.