Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
ACK!!  Color Help/Advice PLEASE!! >

ACK!! Color Help/Advice PLEASE!!

ACK!! Color Help/Advice PLEASE!!

Old 07-12-2010, 07:02 AM

So,

A friend ordered a t-shirt quilt (yippie!) she loves bright, fun colors, non-traditional patterns, very easy to please.

I bought this fabric to make her quilt before I went through all the shirts. (WHOOPS).

Most of her shirts are red/grey -- and my fabric is pink, purple and teal!!

HELP!! Should I go with it? The fabrics are awesome, and there's no way I could find fabrics that match ALL the shirts (unless I only use white) but I'm worried about the pink & red clashing.

She does like fun & funky.... but red AND pink?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-78292.jpe  
Old 07-12-2010, 07:04 AM

go for it! These days all colors seem to be used together.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:12 AM

Your fabrics really are gorgeous, but, if it were me, I'd keep them for something else and go with blacks and yellows for the T-shirt quilt. Lay out your fabric with some of the shirts and see what you think.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:17 AM

I'd ask your friend what she thought, though I agree with Ghostrider. I'd save those beautiful fabrics for something else.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:25 AM

I've seen many tshirt quilts done, never made one myself. But, I'd put the stabilizer on, cut the blocks out.
The take fabric and lay it out, arrange the blocks on it like you're using it for the sashing and see what you think. Audition several different fabrics. If the ones you bought don't work use them in something else. Take your blocks to your local LGS, lay out different bolts and see what works.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:59 AM

I think I'd use those fabrics for something else and come up with Plan B for the t-shirt quilt.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:25 AM

The coolest t-shirt quilt I've seen had sashing that matched the theme of the t-shirt. She had flame fabric around the car t-shirt, matching college fabric around the college t-shirt, soccer balls around the soccer t-shirt, etc. I don't remember all the different shirt and fabric combos but they were all really fun.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:36 AM

I love, love, love your fabric but I would save it for another projuct. I think you need to use blacks, grays, reds, whites and a bright color for punch - maybe a small amount of yellow or green!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
The coolest t-shirt quilt I've seen had sashing that matched the theme of the t-shirt. She had flame fabric around the car t-shirt, matching college fabric around the college t-shirt, soccer balls around the soccer t-shirt, etc. I don't remember all the different shirt and fabric combos but they were all really fun.
I think Scissor Queen has the right idea!! Not that I don't love your fabric choices, but I don't think they will match!!
I wish that I still had all of my kids soccer and swim meet tee shirts. . . . . . . I could make a dozen quilts!! :shock:
Old 07-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Google Goddess

this is a good idea!

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen