Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color Blind Quilter Needs Some Suggestions >

Color Blind Quilter Needs Some Suggestions

Color Blind Quilter Needs Some Suggestions

Old 05-28-2014, 11:12 AM

I am not color blind, but am terrible at choosing fabric.....soooooo.....I use precuts. They always match.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:19 PM

You would be great at creating scrappy quilts!
Old 05-28-2014, 08:51 PM

I am terrible at choosing fabric and it frustrates me something fierce. But some of that is because of the lighting in the stores. What looks like it matches in the store is not necessarily the case when it gets home and is washed. Sometimes I take one of my daughters with me, or a friend that has good taste in fabric. And I have been known to take the fabric to the door to see how it looks in sunlight.

And you are not the only one that gets the fabric home, and says, "What was I thinking?" That fabric gets set aside and used in a scrappy quilt or donated.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:52 PM

I have to ask help when choosing colors, im visually impaired and clor coordinating impaired! Lol not colored blind just get overwhelmed! Just have fun
Old 05-29-2014, 03:10 PM

lol, I guess I can have fun looking at people's faces while waiting for a dumb answer when I ask why not.... Thank You
Old 05-29-2014, 03:12 PM

I am def. going to make a serious attempt to try that. Thank you..
Old 05-29-2014, 03:33 PM

I have told people, only a few, that I'm color blind and it's amazing what lot of people think color blindness is. I try to make myself believe that maybe, just maybe they ruined a good percentage of their brain cells as teenagers by drugs and that's what makes them say such stupid things and although that may be a possibility chances are it's not highly likely. At times it's hard for me to understand how in the world can people see that as being one color when it isn't, or is it? It can get confusing because a few times when I asked someone what color something is because I'm color blind someone will tell me that the other woman must be color blind too cause that is not what she said it was, that's so and so.... Another hard thing is when you say to select a fabric that has multiple colors in it, even when trying to match the colors up using the fabric it takes me forever and a day cause I look at it and run around looking for the say blue that's in the fabric but it isn't blue, I don't know what it is, I mean in my mind I usually think I do know but I guess I don't. At the end you wrote "and how would we know? You are so right !!! Thank You...
Old 05-29-2014, 03:58 PM

How colorblind are you? My son is colorblind in all four quadrants. It has actually been helpful sometimes because although he cannot tell colors, he can tell when a fabric doesn't "go" . Maybe because of the color values. I suggest having a friend or sales person help you identify the colors but also make sure it appeals to your eye. Get the fold up pocket Ott Light and use it when shopping---it helps.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:58 PM

Color blindness I just found out yesterday is much higher among males then females. Doc wasn't sure I was right in claiming color blindness so he tested me the same way so many other doctors have and much to his surprise I was right. My father sees very few colors and the ones that he does see he doesn't see them the way others do. With me I do know a few colors like green, the color green that paper money is and the lawn and yellow because of the sun and of course black and white however if a color is not the mainstream colors and they have to be the exact shade of blue the exact shade of yellow etc. I cannot tell what it is. It's almost like when two colors are combined to make a different color that most people see as being one specific color see it as something different, sometimes completely different where I am no where close to being right. I haven't a clue what causes it or why I being a woman am even color blind since it is typically a male disorder so I am told. I do know I'm stuck with it and for the most part used to it but when it comes to my newfound love for quilting it's hard to be happy with what others are so quick to open their mouths and criticize. Thank you for asking, most people feel comfortable in assuming they know about something they know nothing about and hurt other people in the process. Thank you again....
Old 05-29-2014, 04:06 PM

Honestly I don't know. I'm sure you know it's more of a male disorder then a female disorder. Strange enough what seems to go well for me, doesn't for most. The color values has to be my biggest and worst issue. I can tell the difference in a few colors, the main colors that are not a combo. They have to be exact, not light or dark, no whites or grays added or no combo of colors, those are the ones that I am usually correct in saying what they are. Add another shade, lighten or darken it and it's suddenly not what I think it is. I don't know what an Ott light is, can you fill me in?