Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color Blind Quilter Needs Some Suggestions >

Color Blind Quilter Needs Some Suggestions

Color Blind Quilter Needs Some Suggestions

Old 06-10-2014, 03:43 AM

Maybe you are being too hard on yourself. True, the dog doesn't care what he sleeps on, but in general, quilts are very forgiving. Colors that may not "go together" somehow do, when they are in a quilt. When I first started quilting, I never would have thought of putting orange and turquoise together, but that quilt is now the favorite of one of my dear friends.
Also, it is your quilt, so you get to choose what goes in it. If you really don't like it when it is finished, you can donate it to a charity or homeless mission. Or, you can go for the scrappy look, and everything looks good in a scrappy :-)
Old 06-12-2014, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Sometimes when people say "I am color-blind" what they really mean is that they don't have a very good sense of what goes with what - or other people don't like what they put together.

So - when someone says "I am color-blind" - and they really mean that they are unable to tell one color from another - people may not take it as a fact. Or have no way to identify with the condition.

I wonder if there are glasses or screens available that could help people with normal vision see things the same way a person with color-impairment does???

On the other hand, I wonder if there might be viewers or lenses that could add filters or something that could be worn like eye-glasses/spectacles that could add "color" to your world???

I sometimes say "I am blind" (or am asked "Are you blind?") when I don't locate/see something that is right in front of me in the refrigerator.

I don't have any suggestions for how to see something that you can't.
That would be nice, if there were lenses to let colorblind people see colors. But I think (if I'm remembering correctly) the issue is with the cones in the eyes that let you see color, so I don't think lenses would be able to fix that because the eyes and brain can't process certain wavelengths of light
Old 06-18-2014, 08:15 PM

I'm late to the party, having just joined the board yesterday, but I wanted to share with you that there are several quilting traditions in the US that use what some might consider unconventional color combinations. The women who made, and continue to make, those quilts choose the colors because that's what they're drawn to. They enjoy working with them, they appreciate the end result, and there is nothing wrong with those quilts.

I'm with the others who say, quilt what makes you happy! Don't throw away your art based on someone's hurtful critique. Your work is YOURS, no one else's, and you deserve to LOVE it.

You asked for advice as to choosing colors that go together. My advice is, choose the colors that look beautiful to you, and make you HAPPY.

I want to share a story with you. My oldest son is color blind. When he was younger, he liked to build model planes. But he couldn't tell you what paint color was what. Well, one day when our son was a teenager, my husband came home to discover that he had run out of paint, and had mixed his own. It matched absolutely perfectly. No question. You would have thought it was store bought paint. My husband asked him what color it was, and his response was "I don't know, I just needed more."

I understand that this is a challenge for you, but... Listen to the others here. Do what makes you happy. Don't sit at your sewing machine and make a quilt to satisfy someone else. Sit at your machine for you!