Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which comes first... >

Which comes first...

Which comes first...

Old 12-17-2014, 05:45 AM

I have always seen the sides done first, then the top and bottom; however, it' shout quilt. Do it however you want to do it.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:57 AM

I usually do the sides first. To the eye it sort of balances the quilt. Putting the sides last just elongates the look of the quilt. Of coarse after it is quilted you will probably never know the difference unless it is directional or striped fabric. Then there are times that I just sew boarders around as you do a log cabin block, top, right, bottom and then left. Just a personal preference. Do whatever you are comfortable with or what fits the quilt you are working on.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:22 AM

Your decision will also be affected by whether you wish to give a perception of greater length or width. A quilt will look longer if the top and bottom are put on first and wider if they're put on last. Unless of course you're doing mitred corners in which case it's irrelevant
Old 12-17-2014, 07:24 AM

I am really new, only made 2 rag quilts so far LOL but I am curious, how did you ever get 83 quilts done in 4 years? I am trying to start making pieced quilts for all of my grandchildren and thinking it will take me 5-6 years to get 11 done LOL Another question, if you have done 83 quilts, why are you questioning how you do the border now? What did you do with the other 83? I only ask because I will sew something and be fine with it until someone else makes a comment and then I question myself so much that I don't know if I am even doing it right. I love to read all these "threads" because I learn from them. I am trying to learn before I start a pieced quilt. Rag Quilts are easy way for me to start, but I only have one more to make for granddaughter's bday and then I am free to start my first pieced quilt. Probably lots of sobbing going to happen when I start. LOL Well, just curious to learn. Have a super day.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:34 AM

A lot of my patterns tell me to do the sides then the top and bottom. Also from several teachers at my local quilt store use the same order for borders. I don't know if it's a rule or not, but I like the way mine turn out.

Susan
Old 12-17-2014, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I am really new, only made 2 rag quilts so far LOL but I am curious, how did you ever get 83 quilts done in 4 years? I am trying to start making pieced quilts for all of my grandchildren and thinking it will take me 5-6 years to get 11 done LOL Another question, if you have done 83 quilts, why are you questioning how you do the border now? What did you do with the other 83? I only ask because I will sew something and be fine with it until someone else makes a comment and then I question myself so much that I don't know if I am even doing it right. I love to read all these "threads" because I learn from them. I am trying to learn before I start a pieced quilt. Rag Quilts are easy way for me to start, but I only have one more to make for granddaughter's bday and then I am free to start my first pieced quilt. Probably lots of sobbing going to happen when I start. LOL Well, just curious to learn. Have a super day.
Dina was the one who had completed 83 quilts in 4 years and she stated she was just curious. The OP is the one asking the question.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Generally speaking you do the sides first so you are getting the best use of your yardage. Lots of quilts are rectangular and longer than they are wider. So if you put your side borders on first, you are using less fabric on the sides than if you put the top/bottom on first. Otherwise, in my opinion, it makes no difference.
I totally agree. This is what I do and why.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

When I am hopeful that I can do an edge without having to piece, I will do the longest side first. This is adding length to the shorter side. I have been pretty successful with this approach.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:29 PM

No one ever told me the right way so I just started with the sides first and never gave it a thought. That is how I have always done it and it works well for me.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:32 PM

If you miter the corners, who is to know which border was done first? I personally don't think it makes any difference which side you did first.