Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
computerized quilting LA machine question >

computerized quilting LA machine question

computerized quilting LA machine question

Old 04-16-2016, 06:12 PM

Default computerized quilting LA machine question

So I am shopping for a long arm and am having a really hard time deciding which length of throat I want. I will be going to HMQS in Salt Lake in May to test drive all the machines and am not interesting in adding computerized right away but It was brought to my attention that a good way to guage the useable space with a full take up bar is to find out how wide of a pass a computerized LA can take with a full take up bar. (IE last pass or second to last pass). So my question for you Long Armers who use a computer, which machine and size do you have and how wide of a pass can you do with a full take up bar? Thank you! Hopefully my question makes sense lol
Old 04-17-2016, 03:26 AM

I'll be first to reply. I have an innova autopilot 26" throat, 12' frame. I can quilt king size quilts on here with no problem at all. Love it. DH says it's pretty bad to pay almost as much as you would for a used car, but we have no plans to upgrade and I wanted to get my dream machine now. I'm so glad we did. Be sure to check the innovas out when you go.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

I also have an Innova. Because of the way the frame is designed, you have as much room to quilt with a full take-up bar as you do when you start out, and you don't have to make any frame adjustments at all. However I would advise getting 26" rather than a shorter arm. I've never heard anyone say they wish they had a smaller machine, but many have commented that they wish they had 26" rather than 18".
Old 04-17-2016, 07:55 AM

I have Innova and Gammill. Both are 26". Are you asking how wide a pattern you can quilt? If so, I've found that about 17" is the widest I can go without worrying about any obstructions.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:58 PM

I have the 26" Innova with MQR robotics. I can quilt up to 21-22". Have never had any issues with loosing space as its rolled up on the takeup roller.

When I decided to upgrade from an 18" I went for the 26" instead of the 22" due to the robotics. I can use larger patterns instead of having to down size them or split them and do them in 2 passes. I quilt just for myself too.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:24 PM
Gay

I have a Tin Lizzie 18LS The first row can be 14" deep, but I won't attempt anything over 12" as that is the most I can manage when I get towards the last row. Have considered upgrading to a 26" so I can quilt 'on-point' blocks easier, but being short (and older) am cautious about stretching so far to reach the back of the quilting area.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:03 PM

I have a HQ16 computerized with a pcquilter. How large the quilting space is depends on: A) the size of the quilt,
B) the batting used, C) the backing used. In other words, there is no set maximum quilt space with the take up bar full or nearly full.

I don't do too many quilts that are bed size, lots of lap quilts - 60 x 70 +/- a few inches. Usually I can get around 10 inches of usable quilt space. If I use fleece as batting and backing, the sandwich is fatter, so I get less. Using cotton backing and 80/20 backing I generally get the 10 inches. Flannel backing is puffier, so less quilting space with that, too.

The maximum quilting space i can get is 12", but that is rare. and generally is a baby quilt.

Happy hunting!
Old 04-17-2016, 08:22 PM

How tall are you? What is your sight like? I am only 5 feet tall so the 26" would be useless for me. Check out Innova and if you deal with Renee from quilts on the corner she will be HONEST with you. They are not just in it for the $$, they really do sell you what will work best for you
Old 04-17-2016, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I also have an Innova. Because of the way the frame is designed, you have as much room to quilt with a full take-up bar as you do when you start out, and you don't have to make any frame adjustments at all. However I would advise getting 26" rather than a shorter arm. I've never heard anyone say they wish they had a smaller machine, but many have commented that they wish they had 26" rather than 18".
Thank you this was just the information I was looking for I know I can load a king size on a 12 foot frame so that's the size of frame I'm getting but I'm "nervous" about the length of arm. What is the size of pattern you can quilt on each pass with the 26 in innova? I'm not quite sure how to word what I have in my mind as the question lol
Old 04-17-2016, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
I have the 26" Innova with MQR robotics. I can quilt up to 21-22". Have never had any issues with loosing space as its rolled up on the takeup roller.

When I decided to upgrade from an 18" I went for the 26" instead of the 22" due to the robotics. I can use larger patterns instead of having to down size them or split them and do them in 2 passes. I quilt just for myself too.
Thank you so much! This is just the feedback I've been looking for! Innova is on the short list of two haha I am so excited to test them out at HMQS