Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Computerized or non-computerized >

Computerized or non-computerized

Computerized or non-computerized

Old 07-23-2011, 06:17 PM

I'm shopping for a Brother PQ 1500S and my question is should I buy the computerized model or the non-computerized model. Why should I buy one model over the other. I'm leaning toward the non-computerized as it may be less troublesome. I'm I right or wrong and why????
Old 07-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Power Poster

I am not familar with this machine but go down your list of things you would like your machine to do. I really like my needle down lock for applique, my start/stop button for when I don't want to use the foot pedal (sore knee) the needle threader (my eyes aren't what they used to be)my programable buttonhole size, my buttonhole applique stitch etc. Just think of what you want, write it down and see which machine will meet your needs.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:39 PM

I believe the Brother PQ 1500S is a straight stitch machine -- I have a Juki on a frame that is similar and it is great for FMQ and straight piecing. However, I agree with Tartan -- and would add that the computerized machine would come with an assortment of stitches that you might find useful down the road.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:46 AM

Thanks for the input. I have a Janome machine with lots of decorative stitches but very seldom use any of them but I would have them if the need came up to use something like that. I used to make all my clothes but not anymore other than an occasional shift or whatever. Anymore 99% of my sewing is on piecing/FMQ of projects. Seems the Brother 1500S with the larger harp has had lots of good reviews without spending a lot of money. I haven't room for something on a large frame. Plus when the many quilt tops I presently have are quilted I only plan on doing wall hangings/runners and the like. I have my list of 'wants' started!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:18 AM

I am the spreadsheet queen! When I was shopping for a new machine several years ago I made up a spreadsheet (did the same when shopping for a new computer - you get the picture) of all my 'needs' and 'wants'. Then would hust put an x in the appropriate box as to which machine had what I needed or wanted. Whatever tallied up to the most 'needs' and/or 'wants' won the bid. Price was also factored in so that was a component as well. It works for me. Granted, I bought a computerized machine but had a mechanical as a back up at that time as well as a FW. Since then have bought a 66 that I still need to move into an antique cabinet. I think having at least 1 of each (computerized - for easy working) and not - for mindless stuff - works best if you have time room/money. Just my opinion.