Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New computerized sewing machines >

New computerized sewing machines

New computerized sewing machines

Old 09-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

I have a question/thought: Years ago I was told that the constant turning on and off of a tv, computer, other electronics was not good on them and it shortened their lifespans. This is due to corrosion that occurs when the inside metal parts warm up, then cool and condensation corrodes them. Which lead to the recommendation of leaving them on more or even all of the time, like most of us do our computers, now. Would the same apply to our sewing machines? Don't they have the same inner parts and components like computers and other electronics? Does anyone out there know anything about this?
Old 09-07-2007, 11:03 AM

amma, it would make sense. I know I leave my computer on until it starts acting slower then i turn it off for a while before I restart it. In my opinion, I would think a sewing machine would be the same, however, I am not an expert in this field. I will start researching and let you now what I find.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:16 AM

yes! inquiring minds want to know
Old 09-07-2007, 11:36 AM

Well I haven't been able to find anything about turning on and off your machine other than to turn it off so you don't harm yourself. I also found out that a sewing machine uses little electric....a penny's worth for an hour. I'll keep looking.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:54 AM

Well, I can barely leave mine turned on long enough to sew bc of the baby. He knows how to turn it on and off, and I caught him trying to sew one day! I try to keep it out of his reach.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:58 AM

I don't know anything about leaving it on but the little lightbulb that mine uses is around $20.00. I have already replaced it once. So would have to weigh the savings from being left on with what the lightbulb costs. LOL
Debbie
Old 09-07-2007, 12:06 PM

Debbie, you have a good point. Would the cost of savings be more than the cost of a lightbulb? How would you even be able to tell?

Miranda, I understand about the little one. He is definitely into everything and it would awful for him to get ahold of something like a sewing machine. He is so orinary. You could probably put it up and he would still find it. LOL.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:10 PM

Well, my "NEW" computerized machine (see other post as to why I'm so thrilled with the thing) has an LED bulb in it that must only be replaced by a certified/authorized/something-ized or -ied...professional.
A money sucker!
I'm sticking with the on and off button, as the machine is junk anyway.

I could glue or screw the machine to the ceiling and the baby would be sitting there by it next time I looked up, I'm sure! :oops:
Old 09-07-2007, 12:55 PM

I had a Brother cheapie and it had tension and thread problems also.
My old Singer was a workhorse but just did not do all I needed for quilting.
I bought a Husqvarna Viking at Joanns. It is computerized and I leave it on all day when I am quilting. So far it works just fine and I like all the special quilting features. It also has a 10inch throat which is very helpful.
It is handy to take in if I ever need repairs, just take it to Joanns.
Its to new right now to let you know of problems but I sure will hollar if I do have any.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:02 PM
lin

Originally Posted by ButtercreamCakeArtist

I could glue or screw the machine to the ceiling and the baby would be sitting there by it next time I looked up, I'm sure! :oops:
Ok, that just made my day! :lol: :lol: :lol: