Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Contract

Question Contract

Hello all!
    I am new to the boards and just love reading and learning from all of you!! I have been contacted by someone wanting me to make her a t-shirt quilt for her daughters graduation in May. I am wondering if any of you use or know where I might find a contract that I can use if our ideas mesh and things work out. I just want to make sure I don't forget anything that might be important!
    Thanks for your help!
    carrie

Power Poster
    No idea for the contract but start work on a list of supplies. You will want to get at least the money for all your supplies up front before starting. A lot of people get cold feet when the realize how much a quilt will cost. Each t-shirt may need fusible inner facing ironed to the back and that can get expensive.

I agree with Tartan, most do not realize how expensive it is to make a quilt.

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Here's one similar to what I use.

Jan in VA

Contract for reproduction of Log Cabin Quilt for Mr/Mrs. -----------------
    By Jan _______________ May 2012

Quilt will be approx. 96” square, 6 x 6 block setting with three plain borders. Fabrics will be blue prints, 100% cotton or cotton/polyester blends, similar to the original prints.
    I will make every effort to locate fabrics at the best low price I can.

The quilt will be machine pieced and machine quilted with a cotton natural-colored thread.

The backing fabric will be a white or light print or plain fabric.

The batting will be light weight polyester at customer’s request.

Customer understands that there are other commission works to complete in front of their order and that it may be 3-4 months before this quilt can be delivered to them.

The cost of this quilt will be approximately:
    Fabric: approx. $125 (Approx. 15 yards total for front and back)
    Thread: $2.50
    Batting: $20-25
    Labor: $500 (includes: shopping for similar-to-original fabrics, cutting fabrics for sewing, piecing blocks, piecing/applying/mitering borders, hand basting l ayers together, quilting, applying binding to front and back of quilt, washing and drying, delivery of quilt)
    Total cost expected to be approx. $650 or less depending on the cost of fabrics and the batting I can locate for this quilt.

Signature of Customer_________________________________________ 5/12 2012

Signature of Quilter___________________________________________ ____ 5/12/2012

Deposit Paid____________ Date_________ Balance Paid___________ Date_________

Jan’s contact information:
    email - phone -
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Blog Entries
    If asked to make an item I ask the people to buy their own material and I will put it together. Other quilting friends usually have no problem paying . These people don't like doing bags or small folding projects. They pay for a class for me at our local group. This works very well for me as I love going to the meetings and if someone else pays can go an extra day.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    Jan has provided you a great contract. Keep in mind for a t shirt quilt, you will need to back all the t shirts with a non-woven interfacing, which will add to your costs.
    Also, if you google t shirt quilts, there are lots of sites that come up that offer this service. Might be able to get some info there.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Thank you all for your help! I greatly appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Here's one similar to what I use.

Jan in VA

Contract for reproduction of Log Cabin Quilt for Mr/Mrs. -----------------
    By Jan _______________ May 2012

Quilt will be approx. 96” square, 6 x 6 block setting with three plain borders. Fabrics will be blue prints, 100% cotton or cotton/polyester blends, similar to the original prints.
    I will make every effort to locate fabrics at the best low price I can.

The quilt will be machine pieced and machine quilted with a cotton natural-colored thread.

The backing fabric will be a white or light print or plain fabric.

The batting will be light weight polyester at customer’s request.

Customer understands that there are other commission works to complete in front of their order and that it may be 3-4 months before this quilt can be delivered to them.

The cost of this quilt will be approximately:
    Fabric: approx. $125 (Approx. 15 yards total for front and back)
    Thread: $2.50
    Batting: $20-25
    Labor: $500 (includes: shopping for similar-to-original fabrics, cutting fabrics for sewing, piecing blocks, piecing/applying/mitering borders, hand basting l ayers together, quilting, applying binding to front and back of quilt, washing and drying, delivery of quilt)
    Total cost expected to be approx. $650 or less depending on the cost of fabrics and the batting I can locate for this quilt.

Signature of Customer_________________________________________ 5/12 2012

Signature of Quilter___________________________________________ ____ 5/12/2012

Deposit Paid____________ Date_________ Balance Paid___________ Date_________

Jan’s contact information:
    email - phone -
    Jan this is awesome! Love it!

Jan, I love your contract! How do you find fabric, thread, and batting at such a low price? Guess that's why I give all my quilts away. I could never make a quilt for only $650.

I just finished two t-shirt quilts. One is double bed sized and the other is queen sized. The professional long-arm work cost more than $250 total for both. The sashing, borders, backing for both, and non-woven fusible backing for t-shirts (with much cut off, therefore, wasted) required lots more $$. T-shirt quilts are more expensive than a customer may realize, so I recommend a contract like Jan's too. Good luck to you! Get it in writing with a signature and at least 1/2 the total estimate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast