Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
contrasting thread for quilting >

contrasting thread for quilting

contrasting thread for quilting

Old 03-11-2014, 10:05 AM

Default contrasting thread for quilting

I am quilting a baby quilt now. The quilt top has a variety of dark blue patterned fabrics. The back is a lighter "baby blue" solid flannel. If I do my quilting with the lighter blue thread it will show on the quilt top. If I user the darker blue thread to blend with the top it will show on the back. Is this something that you guys concern yourself with? I have variegated thread, but it still shows pretty much. What do you guys think?
Old 03-11-2014, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

It depends on how confident my FMQ skills are. If I think the pattern I attempt may have some boo boos, I usually try to match the thread closely to the backing fabric. The large expanse of the backing fabric show more imperfections if there is high thread contrast.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:18 AM

You can use te light blue on the bottom/bobbin and a darker blue on the top. Just make sure that your tension is good so there will not be "dot" on either side.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:19 AM

It depends-if you like your quilting skills, pick the color of thread that compliments the quilt top and let it show on the back--if not, or you want the piecing to be the focus, select a neutral thread color that will blend in or "disappear". My quilting skills are not the greatest, so for this reason I always select a back with a print and in the same color as the thread I plan to use so the quilting doesn't show up that much on the back.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

I would probably use variegated thread, but a lot depends on the quilting design and how forgiving (or unforgiving) it is, plus your skill level. In general, I find a meander with variegated thread looks fine on most quilts as long as the stitches are fairly uniform and the curves fairly smooth.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:31 AM

I just finished a charity breast cancer quilt, and used hot pink in the top, and off while in the bobbin...my tension was spot on.....and I had none of bobbin showing on top or vice versa...I would use 2 colors - and use varigated on the top, and as close to matching as I could in the bobbin for the backing.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:36 AM

Even if you get a little dot of the bobbin thread on the top, it will not show or be considerably less noticeable after you wash and dry it. It is reallllly hard to get the tension so perfect that you don't get that little dot of color.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:03 PM

I usually use 2 different threads in cases like this....one in the top and one in the bobbin. Since i quilt to hold it together and mostly only do straight stitches of different kinds - the "matching" hides my mistakes much better !!!!!
Old 03-11-2014, 01:39 PM

Thanks everyone. I never thought of using two different colors - - that is an obvious solution. I am not too confident in my quilting skills... still learning slowly but surely
Old 03-11-2014, 04:57 PM

The infamous 'dot' always makes an appearance on the quilts I quilt with two different threads. But it usually disappears when i wash the quilt so I no longer get crazy about it. You can only adjust your tension sooooo many times...