Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Retro Clean for yellowing fabric >

Retro Clean for yellowing fabric

Retro Clean for yellowing fabric

Old 03-09-2014, 02:47 PM

Default Retro Clean for yellowing fabric

I am curious if anyone used Retro Clean and what were the results? Or is this there another product that you have used that worked well. I have a quilt I have been commissioned to complete, it is muslin with some areas that have yellowed and the requestor would like to have the stains removed if possible. She states it is ok if they do not come out as she spent so much time making it but I would like to see if I can remove them. I would be grateful for any suggestions.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]466433[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails photo-2-.jpg  
Old 03-09-2014, 04:23 PM
Power Poster

I took the wholecloth quilts class by Cindy Needham on Craftsy, and she highly recommends Retro Clean.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:28 PM

I have used it on antique quilts. It works AWESOME! It took out brown spotting and yellowish stuff on old muslin. I will use it again.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:41 AM

I used Retro Clean on a top I took apart & replaced batting & backing & requilted. It was So nasty but everything came out beautiful except the rust marks from pins left in for years. Any one know if it's possible to remove old rust?? It turned out Awesome. I couldn't believe the difference & wished I had taken a pic for comparison! It was hand pieced so I handquilted it in the ditch. Now it's a heirloom!! My friend will be So amazed when she sees it!!
Old 03-10-2014, 03:22 PM

Oh, RetroClean is an awesome product! I used it on a white quilt that had (unknown to me) been packed away after being spritzed by a cat! It had been stored that way at least three years. EEEUUWW! The quilt looks brand new! I also used RetroClean for antique linens and quite a few other yellowed items. No damage to colors or fabric. It was pleasant to use a product that did what was promised.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:13 PM

Thank you, everyone for responding. I will be buying some soon and look forward to my customers pleasure in the ability to remove the yellowing.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by hairquilt View Post
I used Retro Clean on a top I took apart & replaced batting & backing & requilted. It was So nasty but everything came out beautiful except the rust marks from pins left in for years. Any one know if it's possible to remove old rust?? It turned out Awesome. I couldn't believe the difference & wished I had taken a pic for comparison! It was hand pieced so I handquilted it in the ditch. Now it's a heirloom!! My friend will be So amazed when she sees it!!
I have used a product called Wink which I purchased in the cleaning section to remove rust on antique textiles. The fabric must be stable or it may damage it. Using a cotton tipped stick and just try on an under side of a seam to test may be a good idea. Good luck and thanks for your report.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:55 PM

There is a product in the grocery stores that remove rust. I have used it and have had no problem when I did use it. Sorry that I know the name of the product.