Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Copyright  questions >

Copyright questions

Copyright questions

Old 12-05-2015, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Natalie,
I think that, legally, you are correct that we can use whatever fabric we bought legally in our quilts & can even sell those quilts (http://info.legalzoom.com/can-make-i...ric-21253.html) Unfortunately, not every lawyer is honest, and even those that are have an obligation to zealously represent their client's interest which can make for quite a headache.

Of course, the design for quilts is a totally separate issue. If there's no pattern (i.e., you saw the actual quilt at a show) then you really do need to get permission to make a very similar quilt, unless the design is either in Public Domain or copyleft. If there is a pattern, it's anyone's guess. Seems like something as simple as making quilts should not be shrouded in so much complexity. I'm glad for copyrights since I believe it fosters new & innovative designs, but all the legal stuff is just plain frustrating!
No you don't need to get permission. If a design is so easy that someone can look at it and figure out how to do it I don't see the issue. No one can tell you what you can sew or create with the materials you buy. If the quilt pattern you create is such an easy one I think you're wasting money if you try to sue people. And I would think you would have to prove someone copied yours rather than it coming from their own head. How are you going to do that?
Old 12-05-2015, 06:35 PM

Thank uou everyone for the information and links. I appreciate the help.