Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Copyrights? >

Copyrights?

Copyrights?

Old 10-30-2015, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
people sell copies of patterns out of magazines all the time on Ebay. So anything goes these days, evidently.
No, people sell actual pages from the magazines on eBay. If they're caught selling copies they're booted off eBay.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
No, people sell actual pages from the magazines on eBay. If they're caught selling copies they're booted off eBay.
My feeling is if I feel bad about how something is done then I don't participate.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:42 AM

Check inside the magazine where the names of the editors are listed along with subscription information, etc. One of the magazines I used to get included permission to photocopy articles and so on. Sorry, I do not recall which magazine it was.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:38 AM

Make a copy and sent it. No one is going to come after you. Do you seriously think that the magazine is concerned about the little guy making a copy and sending it to a friend?
Old 10-31-2015, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
Make a copy and sent it. No one is going to come after you. Do you seriously think that the magazine is concerned about the little guy making a copy and sending it to a friend?
There is always a right way and a wrong way. Usually depends on your conscience, rather than law.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:23 AM

I see used magazines and books for sale in thrift stores, garage sales and even my local library. So sell it to her for a penny and she can return it later to you for a refund.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:47 AM

No way would I send one of my magazines to someone; experience tells me that IF it was returned, the condition would be severely compromised . Give her the name of the magazine and month, year and she can try to find it used on line. When I really want a pattern, this is what I have done to obtain it and then I can enjoy the entire magazine and frequently find other patterns for my enjoyment.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Dunster is right, they only sell the actual pages torn for the magazines!!
Old 10-31-2015, 08:08 AM

Your friend might be able to get a back copy from the magazine publisher or even find one on ebay. That way she would have her own copy.

I agree that for me it is more about my conscience and doing what it right. I've known a couple of pattern designers and have seen how hard they work to develop print and distribute their patterns. It's not fair to them to make copies and give them away. The ones I knew weren't making an fortune and my $$$$ paid for their pattern really helped them out.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
people sell copies of patterns out of magazines all the time on Ebay. So anything goes these days, evidently.
People also drive speeding down the road all the time -- not me, of course

I agree with those who've suggested having her try to find one on eBay or such. Another option that's legal would be for you to make a copy of the pattern yourself. Then, give your friend the magazine & the "personal copy". When she's done using it, she should either return both to you or destroy the copy. It would mean you would not have any copies of the pattern for a bit, but hopefully if you give the magazine to a trusted friend in a sealed plastic bag, you will receive it back in the same condition ...it's still a bit of a risk, but not as much as if you only gave her the magazine.

Last edited by Bree123; 10-31-2015 at 09:18 AM.