Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cost increase. >

Cost increase.

Cost increase.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:34 PM

I love the Craftsy platform. I have a holder for my iPad in my sewing room so that I can watch lessons as I sew. Actually, most of what I know about quilting, I have learned from Craftsy classes. Only once have I paid more than $19.99 for a class. I have bought so many Craftsy quilting classes that last summer they let me select any quilting class I wanted for free. I sign up for all of the free sewing classes. I learned so much from the 2012 and 2013 free BOM classes. I love the fact that I can look at lessons any hour of the day or night and can look at them over and over if I want to. I look at lots of YouTube quilting videos and never miss one by Jenny Doan; but I am so glad I can take Craftsy classes.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:03 PM

I am also a Craftsy fan and have bought numerous classes both quilting and clothing construction - some I like more than others of course, but I never fail to learn something worthwhile. I got a free cooking class during my birthday month, and although consider myself a reasonably competent cook, signed up for one of those - it is a great class and is also teaching me things I didn't know. We're all in different places in our lives, so what seems like a lot of money to some looks like a bargain to others. I don't think I've ever bought a class that wasn't on sale - but sales are so frequent that you never have to wait long. Lots of info on youtube, but not with the depth and quality of these classes (in my opinion)
Old 10-01-2014, 03:51 AM
Power Poster

I don't take classes. I use youtube or my quilting books.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:19 AM

I actually hope they NEVER do this, because I absolutely cannot stand "product placement" ads. I would much rather either pay and not have to deal with that or have them clearly presented as ads. If a teacher genuinely LIKES a product and wants to talk about it, that's fine, but once product placement starts I feel I can never trust that teacher's word on things because I don't know if she's saying it because she means it, or because she has to say it in order to satisfy a sponsor's requirements. That's a sure-fire way to make me stop watching something!
I'm with you. I'm tired of advertising taking advantage of everything. It has destroyed television. There is no truth in advertising; no responsibility, just words. I too avoid it at all cost.

I remember the early days of the free internet when it was such a wonderful learning resource. It still is if you dig deep enough, but there is so much extraneous noise now that it is difficult. Craftsy is a great idea and is done well, but that price is ridiculous.

I don't think the free market will be responsible for reducing prices. Because there is such a deep disparity in the free market, the rich keep wanting more and the poor simply can't compete. I know that first hand these days as a retired person on a fixed income. Need no longer drives spending. Excess abounds. Lots of people have lots of money and spend it without a thought.

Yet, there are still people who enjoy teaching for the joy of sharing what they know through blogs and videos, so I guess there is room for everyone.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Craftsy gives a refund for the class if you aren't happy with it.
Yes, I know I could ask for an refund, but I just ate it.......for the sale price....at least I know not to buy any other classes from that person if they are offered....maybe it was just the way it was presented or maybe because I have the book, read it before the class, and was expecting more from the video.........just another bad purchase by yours truly, wasn't the first and probably won't be my last!
Old 10-01-2014, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I have purchased at sale price a few of the classes.......one was very disappointing...might as well just read the book!...doubt if I'll sign up for any others...like mentioned, much free demoes, how tos on YouTube...JMHO
Craftsy has a money back guarantee. If you are not satisfied, contact them and they will refund your class fee. I have taken many Craftsy classes, some full price and some on sale, and I love the availability, price and quality of teaching of the classes. I have never asked for a refund yet. I love Craftsy!
Old 10-01-2014, 05:17 PM

I like Craftsy. I like being able to refer back to the class and see clearly. I recently took a workshop with a national teacher for $35 through my guild. It was good, she was good, but I had a headache all day ( you don't know when you sign up for a class in a physical location if you are going to have an off day) and I know I probably missed some things.... she had so many little demos throughout the day that we had to get up and cluster around her for that I began to resent how little sewing I was getting done. I will continue to take classes, but now I do prefer Craftsy. And I am sorry to disagree but it far surpasses you tube videos in detail, and many of the you tube videos are rather simple quilts that I am not interested in making.

Last edited by Pagzz; 10-01-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:41 PM

I have taken a few classes from Craftsy and have been pleased with them.