Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The cost of someone else doing the quilting? >

The cost of someone else doing the quilting?

The cost of someone else doing the quilting?

Old 09-01-2011, 09:29 AM

Just a simple question. How much does it cost to have someone quilt your quilt for you? i Ask because I put together a queen quilt, (a boston common) and I was told that it would coust me around $200 to quilt. I thought, gees, I only paid around $30 - $40 for material. I can do baby quilts and lap quilts on my sewing machine. Is that true for most quilters or some? My quilt is 90" x 120".
Old 09-01-2011, 09:31 AM

That $200 is probably close...it depends on the quilting. I am not a professional long armer, but there are many discussions on here regarding this. Do SEARCH above and put in Long Arm Quilting and you'll find them. They charge by the square inch depending on the type of quilting you want.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:31 AM

Seems a little high, talk to some of the long arm quilters on the board. It depends on the size. My last over sized twin cost $100, but she is local, right down the street.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:32 AM

Hi and welcome to the board from Iowa. Each quilter charges differently so check around.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:35 AM

I had a quilt done for me by a LQ, the quilt was 111" x 111". The LA charge was $200.00 but that included the batting This was two years ago, the price may be higher now. She did a beautiful job.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:10 AM

For my most popular overall patterns, I would charge $165 for that size quilt. That does not include batting, backing, thread or tax, so $200 is not out of line.

You can find cheaper prices, but there are a lot of factors that can influence price. Ask to see samples of the work. Are the stitches even and the tension balanced? Does the design complement your quilt top and fabric, or is it just the one design that the quilter is using that week? Do you have a choice of thread color or just basic white? Does the quilter baste the edges of the quilt as they go to be sure everything ends up square and straight, or are they just trying to git'er done?

As they say, you get what you pay for ;-)
Old 09-01-2011, 10:16 AM

my LAQ charges 12.00 a yard flat fee you pay for batting and backing if she puts on the binding its half the cost of the total quilting. 200. for a queen is about right and some places will cost alot more. I have bid on LAQ on ebay had some great peices done with out any issues.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:21 AM

I would say that is about the right price if it includes the batting. I would also ask if the price includes attaching the binding to the front.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:29 PM

That sounds about normal from my experience for custom work. Most charge per square inch or square foot so the size makes a difference. There are some that ony do stippling or meandering and that is cheaper but not always by a lot.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Power Poster

there is a list here on the board of long-armer's check the list- find a few in your area- contact them and ask-
look at their work- find someone who does quilting you like-
prices vary greatly---location matters-
lots of things factor in- you can find prices for queen quilts from $45- right on up to $300+...
you will be able to find someone within your price range-
some provide batting-some you take your own-some include thread- some charge for it-
some will trim /square up your quilt after quilting-some will not- some will do the machine part of your binding-
some will baste your quilt for you so you can quilt it yourself-
there are lots of variables- start with looking at pictures and seeing who's work you like- check out the list- then contact them through pm's- we really don't (advertise) our pricing here on the open board- that tends to be 'frowned upon'