Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It costs What...do you think? >

It costs What...do you think?

It costs What...do you think?

Old 08-15-2014, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I wonder where they come up with these outrageous values... and 300 hours? Really? Maybe if made entirely without a sewing machine it might take that long, but otherwise, no way.
I have made a few quilts that had over 300 hours in just the cutting and machine piecing. I would not be so quick to say "no way" .
Old 08-15-2014, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am View Post
I have just read one of the pamphlets I picked up somewhere on my last trip through Lancaster county. It is published by the Mennonite Central Committee. It asks "did you know" it costs approximately $2350.00 to make an average queen size quilt {98 X 112} ??? It goes on to say there is 300 hours of cutting, piecing, pressing, quilting and binding @ minimum wage comes out to $2175!!! Needless to say, I had to read it more than once. Sounds like i'm underpaid & I guess that means with all my UFOs, i'm a potential gazillionaire!!!.....now if I could just SELL a few for one tenth that price!!...

Very interesting. I can't help but think of how many times I have read where people find cheap quilts at yard sales or thrift stores for less than $5 or $10. Or the more intricate ones at auctions for $60.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:41 AM

Hah, you can tell that break down is old just by the fabric prices. In essence though I think it's spot on.

I know just cost of materials (not taking into consideration the machine wear & tear, electricity, or time) I spend at LEAST $200 to make a 72x72 throw. That's just fabric and batting, I don't even really figure in thread. And that's also shopping sales and using coupons.

I like to quote people $800 for a throw when they ask me if I will make a quilt, but I think I'm going to start tripling it. Maybe quadrupling.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:54 AM

That is why I try to not buy fabric for more than $5. a yard. With all the Charity quilts I make and ones I give to friends and family; I can't afford to buy more expensive fabrics.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:12 PM

People are not willing to pay what a quilt is really worth! This is exactly why I refuse to sell any quilts that I make.

I tend to search out and stock up on fabrics that are a good deal price wise. I also love to make scrappy quilts, so I get the most bang for my buck with whatever fabrics I do buy. The time invested into designing, cutting, piecing, quilting and binding is huge with any quilt...and I seem to have a preference to make queen and king sized ones. I refuse to work for pennies per hour, and the general public will refuse to pay for even minimum wage much less the amount of money per hour that I think I am worth!

I always knew my quilts were worth it...but I will stick to just making quilts for myself, to give to friends and family and to donate to charity...that will always make them priceless!
Old 08-15-2014, 12:45 PM

That's why I get so annoyed with quilters who sell their quilts on eBay, Etsy, or other places for $50 or $100, and say they don't think they should charge a lot for their hobby. Well, they're taking a loss and making it very difficult for others who ARE trying to make a profit. If you don't want to make money, then don't sell them! Please, just give them away!

Jan, I wonder if that price sheet you posted is from Caryl Bryer Fallert-what-ever-her-new-last-name-is-now. I know she posted one very similar to yours a few years ago.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:56 PM

Hmmm, in 1995, the cost was similar to today's. Looks like we didn't get very far. Isn't it funny/sad what it cost to make a quilt is far from how much you can actually sell it for! I guess all the contentment a quilt brings people is well worth the effort-- if not $$$....
Old 08-15-2014, 12:58 PM

There is a mind set that "women's work" is not as valuable as men's. You see it in the work place in general, not just in quilting. We keep working to change that, but it's been a long, hard road.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Definitely. But when you are doing something that you love to do, it doesn't matter. I don't make my wearable art to save money on clothes. I make it because I love doing it and I love wearing unusual clothing that fits my personality rather than some clothing maker's idea of what I should wear. So I don't much care what it costs. I love doing it and I'm going to continue.
I like the way you think!
Old 08-15-2014, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

Ditto. Keeps me in check and not having to commit. Mine are strictly gifts.
Originally Posted by Kitty10628 View Post
I try not to think about the cost and time. It is a hobby I enjoy and don't want to justify!