Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cotton Batting >
  • Cotton Batting

• Cotton Batting

Old 12-22-2013, 10:07 AM

Default Cotton Batting

Newbie question on batting for quilts. I would like to purchase cotton batting by the roll at JAF when they have a good sale. My question to all..... What batting would you recommend that I purchase? Right now I mainly have been working on baby quilts & wall hangings. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you & Merry Christmas & a safe & happy new year to aallspice Kitten
    Old 12-22-2013, 10:07 AM

Oops
    Sue Kitten
    Old 12-22-2013, 10:39 AM

Not to be rude, but, you're going to get as many answers as people...LOL!!! I prefer Quilters Dream Cotton. It' s more expensive than warm & natural, but its what i like.
    Old 12-22-2013, 10:44 AM

I agree with 17becca. After all the time and money spent on making a top and buying a backing, I want the best I can get for batting.
    Old 12-22-2013, 10:54 AM
    Power Poster

JAF use to sell a roll of Hobbs batting but I just checked the website and they didn't have it listed. Warm & Natural isn't that bad. To me it is sort of flat and slightly heavy. Most quilters stick with what they like. Some like a little fluff (Hobbs) and others like a flat look from W&N. Stick with a major brand and you will be OK. Not sure if Quilter's Dream comes in a roll. It is the Cadillac of batting. A bit pricey for some of us living on a fixed income.
    Old 12-22-2013, 11:03 AM
    Power Poster

I would go for a blend 80-20 or even 50-50 because you get the best of both cotton and poly: Easy to quilt, low loft, nice drape, and warmth. I started using Warm and Natural Blend (50-50) and love how it handles. I also have Warm and Natural, and Warm and White. If you don't know what you like, how about getting a few types as precuts and then making the determination based on how you like them?
    Old 12-22-2013, 11:44 AM
    Power Poster

just make sure you have space to unroll your batting as you need it. I bought one roll, that was the last one.
    Old 12-22-2013, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sue Kitten
    Newbie question on batting for quilts. I would like to purchase cotton batting by the roll at JAF when they have a good sale. My question to all..... What batting would you recommend that I purchase? Right now I mainly have been working on baby quilts & wall hangings. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you & Merry Christmas & a safe & happy new year to aallspice Kitten
    I recommend you try several battings first and figure out what you like before you spend money on a whole roll. I personally wouldn't use Warm and Natural if I got it free. Make sure you like a batting enough to use a whole roll before you put the money into it.
    Old 12-22-2013, 11:53 AM

If you hand quilt, it may be a problem in natural cotton due to how the cotton is made. There are small lumps at times and a hand needle will not go thru. When the poly was invented years ago now, it was highly welcomed by the hand quilters. Now the machine quilters have a lot of choices. I prefer poly myself only because it is easy for me to handle. I just finished a king size one for Christmas and my arms are stiff and sore yet. I know my granddaughter will appreciate it though. I would be afraid to use the wool myself, having seen what the moth got in over the last
    80 or so years re the wool crazy quilts. Some say the poly won't last over the years, but when we like something we use it, to each his own. Merry Christmas everyone.
    Old 12-22-2013, 12:19 PM

I like the warm and natural myself and one time they were out on the roll at the sale 1/2 off and said they would order a roll of Pellon Nature's touch. I agreed that I would take that kind and paid. Went and picked it up 6 weeks or so later. I don't like it as well as the warm and natural. Beware of this. When they advertise and then open the doors, they only had a couple rolls and they were gone. I live 120 miles rd trip to Joann's from my house. Merry Christmas to all.