Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wool batting compared to cotton/wool blend batting.

Wool batting compared to cotton/wool blend batting.

Do you have a preference? Connecting threads has a sale on batting and I'm considering wool this time. They also have a cotton/wool blend. I know this has been around the block a few times but I've never used wool batting before. thanks in advance for your opinions!
    SEW MUCH FUN!

I bought some wool and wool blend. Haven't used it as yet. Have wanted to try some but the wool is expensive so when I got an email last month that they had a 1 day 50% off on batting I bought some. Have 2 tops that are finally done and am going to use for those. Both of these battings seem really soft. Can't give a preference as to which I like better at this time.

I have only used wool once. I put cotton next to the backing and the wool next to the top. Very warm.
    I like it.
    Mie

The only piece so far where I've used wool batting was an art quilt that I did a layer of wool batting over a layer of bamboo. I wanted the wool for it's loft as there were some areas in the quilt that I wanted to do some faux trapunto. It worked beautifully for that. I did find that it was a little more slidey (if that's a word) while quilting when used as a layer over the bamboo--I'm not sure if that would be a problem with it if used on its own.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

I have only used wool one time and I was disappointed. When I washed the quilt the batting had bearded out. I had never had that happen before. I am afraid to try it again. Even now I worry about if the bearding happened again when my friend washed her quilt

Allergic to wool. Must stay with cotton.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by meyert View Post
    I have only used wool one time and I was disappointed. When I washed the quilt the batting had bearded out. I had never had that happen before. I am afraid to try it again. Even now I worry about if the bearding happened again when my friend washed her quilt
    Do you remember what brand of wool you used?

I've used wool several times. I like the Dream wool and haven't tried anything else. Those quilts went out to a long armer. I did have a friend that uses wool all the time, she used a Hobbs wool and it ended up shrinking and ruined the quilt. It was like a fluke since she has done several that that is the one time it happened.
    BJ

Blog Entries
    I love Hobbs wool batting. It is wonderful to work with, launders beautifully. When my quilt comes out of the dryer you just want to hug it. Soft and lofty. I try to take advantage of those batting sales
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I love it. A bonus is, it's also excellent for hand quilting.
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Thank you so much for your replies. It certainly helps with making an 'informed' decision.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

MaryKatherine, I went to your blog this morning and found treasures. What an artist you are. Absolutely beautiful work!
    SEW MUCH FUN!

I've used it several times - no problems at all. Light and lofty. Also, no problem washing/ drying on air only.

Wool is my go-to batting. I like warm quilts and wool seems to do the trick. I have had no problem with it bearding and it washes and dries in the dryer beautifully. It also is easy to machine quilt.

Thanks for the topic. I've wanted to try it as well.

I've used Dream wool batting, and had the quilt professionally quilted...it draped beautifully. Would not hesitate to use it again.

Blog Entries
    I've used wool batting once. Cannot remember brand or where I bought it. It was on my mom's 80th birthday quilt. It quilted beautifully and I loved working with it. My mom loves it for her winter warm blanket (her words) since she lives in NH. She also loved the quilt as did my siblings. My quilt inspectors (cats) also loved the quilt.

I will use wool again as a batting.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

I have used quite a few different battings but Hobbs Wool batting is my favorite. I wish it wasnít so expensive but Connecting Threads often has it on sale and then the price isnít too bad.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailorwoman View Post
    Wool is my go-to batting. I like warm quilts and wool seems to do the trick. I have had no problem with it bearding and it washes and dries in the dryer beautifully. It also is easy to machine quilt.
    Me too!! I use QD and it drapes beautifully, is fluffier and warmer than W&N.

Blog Entries
    Name:  20150602_204310.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  152.3 KBThis is one of my quilt inspectors testing my mom's quilt quilt for softness. She thought it quite comfy.

This is the 1st time I used wool batting. Loved working with it. My mom loves this quilt for it's warmth but it's not heavy to sleep under - her words.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options