Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cotton fabric shrinkage >

cotton fabric shrinkage

cotton fabric shrinkage

Old 03-24-2015, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

when preparing to do my Dear Jane quilt, i wanted to make sure there were no shrinkage or bleeding issues since the quilt would take me so long. i bought a bolt of fabric and, after washing, it had shrunk 12% one way and 7% the other. i always prewash.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:46 PM

Probably too late now, but some of the "hobby/discount stores" will let you return the fabric if something is wrong with it. I'm not sure they would after you washed it, but it might be worth a try.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
Probably too late now, but some of the "hobby/discount stores" will let you return the fabric if something is wrong with it. I'm not sure they would after you washed it, but it might be worth a try.
If it was commercially dyed - and it' s a bleeder - I consider it to be defective.

It helps to have the receipt - and for it to be fairly recent !

I have no problem going up the chain of command for that!
Old 03-24-2015, 02:37 PM

I've had 108 inch banking shrink over 6 inches. And it was a well known name brand cotton quilting fabric from a large well known fabric store. Unfortunately it made it too small on one side for my backing, but I was able to put a strip of other fabric from the front across the top, so I was able to save it. But I was not happy to have the backing laid out with the batting on top trying to figure out why my top didn't fit!
Old 03-24-2015, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

I've always purchased a bit more fabric than pattern calls for, then all gets thrown into the washer and dryer before it hits my sewing room. Also good way to check for bleeding too.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:57 PM

I agree - soak the block and see what happens. Cheap or expensive fabric, it doesn't matter. I always prewash. There will be NO surprises when I start quilting, LOL!
Old 03-24-2015, 04:37 PM

Ya cotton shrinks, but I heard if you wash your fabric wash all of it and if you don't wash one don't wash the other fabric. I'm sorry about not knowing the inches you lost but from what I've read on other post doesn't seem that bad. I'm not a fabric washer though unless I buy it from a garage sale other wise I cut the fabric and get ready to quilt.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:40 PM

Is the bleeding you are talking about ? The colour coming out?
Before I washed it I ran it under some water in the sink and seemed to me a lot of colour was coming out .
Is there some thing I can set the die with ?
I,m so afraid of this fabric and think maybe just through it our and start over .
Thanks every one for your help
Tom
Old 03-24-2015, 05:27 PM

I'm sorry I miss took something I think, but I bought my fabric at hobby lobby and I noticed runners like a sting was pulled on my space fabric so I have tried to be more careful when quilting it. With the green fabric I noticed while quilting that there were two holes in the fabric so I'm going to have buy some green thread to fix it. So I wasn't real happy with it since it was around 8 dollars a yard. I would take it back and tell the manager that you took it home and washed it and when you did the dye came out. Tell them exactly what you did because the whole bolt of fabric might be messed up not just your fabric. I did find a video that might help also for the future.

I did find a video you might want to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO7awsFZ6fA
Old 03-25-2015, 05:33 AM

.....did you iron with steam? = hot water!
I personally never wash quilts in hot water....nor dry in hot dryer.....and those I have gifted are "made aware"---- if they are washed in hot water, I am not responsible for the results......