Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fabric shrinkage

I have a question about how much fabric shrinks once quilted. I made the entire quilt out of Moda fabric. I made a quilt to the exact measurements of a pattern and it just fits my bed. Am I going to be sorry after I wash it?

Blog Entries
    Did you prewash the fabric? That will have some to do with the shrinking.
    Close quilting, can make them shrink a bit too.

You could always wash in cold and line dry it...

I believe it depends on if you pre-washed your fabric and pre-shrunk your batting. Overall it shouldnot be much and will still fit your bed. It will probably have an antiquey wrinkly quality which I myself love.

I never wash my fabrics before making a quilt and have very little shrinkage.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    I never wash my fabrics before making a quilt and have very little shrinkage.
    Ditto!

I hope that you ladies are right and it does not shrink too much. I have a lot of love, time and money into this quilt. The reason that I asked is because my sons quilt that was made with Walmart fabric shrank about 5 inches in both directions.

I very rarely wash fabrics before making a quilt. I like the "crinkle" lood after completing the quilt and then washing. I will give the quilt a bit of a pressing after washing most times tho.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bjaayoung
    I hope that you ladies are right and it does not shrink too much. I have a lot of love, time and money into this quilt. The reason that I asked is because my sons quilt that was made with Walmart fabric shrank about 5 inches in both directions.
    Wow! That seems like a lot of shrinkage. Was it washed in hot water? I would think that a cold wash and line dry would be the best way.

i prewash the fabric but never the batting (too lazy i guess) then i wash the quilt after it is done and it turns out fine. I also like the crinkled look after washing.

Since its Moda fabric, I would guess that it would not shrink a lot. It will shrink a bit when you quilt it, of course.

That does seem like a LOT of shrink for the Walmart fabric. Was it the REALLY cheap $2.00 a yard stuff ?

Blog Entries
    I think I read 3%? And I have found that the less expensive fabric (walmart, cheaper lines from joann's, etc) do shrink more than the more spendy brands.

np3
    Blog Entries
    MODA should not shrink. I never prewash my cottons. Flannels are a different story. You must prewash those.

Quote Originally Posted by bjaayoung
    Better quality cottons generally shrink by maximum of 3% and poorer quality can be up to 10%. I don't was any of my fabric and the shrinkage is negligible.

How does one wash batting? I thought it would come apart if washed?

I read something somewhere recently that on average shrinking is about 2% in fabrics. I'm sure poor quality fabrics are more. I think you will be ok. I would just not wash it. Use it like it is. Then you will have some nice use out of it. When it finally does need a washing you can go ahead and give it a shot and wash it. If it does shrink some you will at least have got some good use out of it in the correct size.

Wolfkitty, it would depend on the batting. I haven't had any problems with all the name brand batting out there.. just put it in the washer and run it. Most of them should have directions on the packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Mailmanldy
    Wolfkitty, it would depend on the batting. I haven't had any problems with all the name brand batting out there.. just put it in the washer and run it. Most of them should have directions on the packaging.
    Thank you for your reply, mailmanldy!

Blog Entries
    batting packaging have instructions for pre-shrinking your batting if you feel you need to...it also tells you how much it will shrink. everyone really needs to get in the habit of reading their packaging it contains a wealth of valuable information.
    looser weave fabrics shrink more than tight weave fabrics...so homespuns will shrink ALOT compared to moda cottons, which will shrink more than batiks.
    if shrinkage is a concern you should always pre-wash your fabrics. i have never pre-washed my batting, i just make sure i purchase the batting that is going to behave the way i want it to...such as only shrinking an inch or two...

Dee
    I wash fabric and batting and never have a problem.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee
    I wash fabric and batting and never have a problem.
    How do you wash the batting?

Power Poster
    Some Michael Miller solid black fabric purchased form a LQS - at over $8.00/yard shrank over two inches in width for me.

Blog Entries
    2 inches per yard? or the whole piece? How big was it to begin with?

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Some Michael Miller solid black fabric purchased form a LQS - at over $8.00/yard shrank over two inches in width for me.
    The Quilter's Dream cotton batting that I bought a couple of years ago specifically said NOT to wash it - of course it said it in small print on the back of the piece of paper that was the "label"

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    2 inches per yard? or the whole piece? How big was it to begin with?
    It shrank at least two inches in width - I don't remember the shrinkage in length. I purchased six or seven yards of the stuff last winter.

I started to measure fabrics before and after washing - just to see if the step was worth the effort. To me, it is worth the effort, because I've found almost fabrics shrink some - and not always in the same direction. Some shrink across the width and very little in length - some shrink quite a bit in length and not much in width - a very few shrink hardly at all.

Blog Entries
    That is almost 5%! Wow!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast