Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cotton fabric shrinkage >

cotton fabric shrinkage

cotton fabric shrinkage

Old 03-24-2015, 04:34 AM

Default cotton fabric shrinkage

Hi every one
Can some one shine some light on cotton shrinkage?
I went out the other day and got 2 yards of fabric at one of our larger hobby and craft stores.
So I come home.
And think ok i,m going to start cutting a good pile of fabric and really so for it.
so I cut for hours and then get ready to sew but i give every thing a iron first .
And start to put my pieces togeather and they don,t match up . The fabric a got at the hobby store shrank alot on a 5 inch piece it is now 4 1/8 from me ironing it.
So if i wash the rest of the fabric and use it will it shrink more ?
Or is that it for shrinkage?
Guess I know why it was cheap .
Oh well
thanks
Tom
Old 03-24-2015, 04:44 AM

Yes, cotton does shrink. Loosing 7/8 of an inch from a 5 inch piece does sound extreme, though. Probably your fabric shrank more than a higher quality one would have. However, I don't want my fabric to shrink after I cut it, so I always pre-wash my cottons. They go in the washer and dryer as soon as I get home from the store.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

I usually rough cut my fabric and iron with starch before exact cutting to stabilize my fabric. The shrinkage in your fabric does seem extreme. I would wonder if it was 100% cotton? Try washing a section and when dry, cut a perfect 5 inch piece and iron it to see if it still shrinks.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:22 AM

Most shrinkage seems to be with the first wash, but things can still shrink a little with multiple washes over time. Since the shrinkage was so severe, it might be worth washing the rest twice, on the theory that you'll get most of the shrinkage done and it doesn't take much time to wash it a second time. If anyone wants to tell me that this theory makes no sense, feel free, because I'm just speculating.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

I am not a pre-washer but I do oversize my blocks and then after ironing trim them down to size since ironing does shrink the fabric. But I have never had anything shrink that much. Yes, the old saying "you get what you pay for" comes to mine. Can you selvage the cut pieces and make a smaller quilt??
Old 03-24-2015, 06:04 AM

Thanks for the help
I have washed the fabric and going to try and cut a couple pieces and then iron and see what happens.
I can save some of the fabric but it has me so nervous now.
I,ll be buying my fabric at the fabric store now always.
Just so glad I did not put it all together and then have it shrink on me.
Better to see it now then later .

Thanks
Tom
Old 03-24-2015, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

I have measured and washed hundreds of pieces of fabric.

I started measuring before dunking just to see what - if any - shrinkage occurred.

Fabric can shrink lengthwide, crosswise, or both ways. I found that it usually would shrink more one way than another. I have had Michael Miller black - from three different bolts - shrink over two inches in width.

I started to really become aware of shrinkage when I started measuring my cat prints - of which I had purcased a yard and now the pieces only measured 35 inches.

The shrinkage you experienced is extreme - but I have had a five inch block go town to a 4.5 inch block.

for me, it is worth the effort. I have also had fabric bleeds - and not much success in removing them.

now I soak everything In very hot water for at least a couple of bours -

Of those that say they don' t notice - how many have actually measured before and after?
Old 03-24-2015, 06:50 AM

Yea I.m going to wash every thing now for sure.
I was a printer all my life and the fabric is doing the same thing paper can do .

tom
Old 03-24-2015, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

I always pre wash because of shrinkage and bleeding. I also buy extra. If a pattern calls for a yard, I buy 1 1/2yds. I always check the weave. Learned my lesson with first quilt I ever made.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:17 AM

After a heart breaking loss of one of my first with shrinkage and bleeding I have always washed all my fabrics before cutting. Most cottons will shrink a small amount to a large amount and you can never be sure which one will shrink the most. I believe it is better to be safe than sorry.