Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cotton Prices have gone down >

Cotton Prices have gone down

Cotton Prices have gone down

Old 03-28-2012, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by QKO View Post
Please ask your local quilt shop owner who she's buying her fabric from. I'd like to know, since prices from all our distributors are continuing to rise. Thanks.
My LQS kept prices at $9.60/yd. Went there recently & now $10.60/yd. If it goes any higher I have to find other fabric sources like thrift shops etc.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:39 PM

Unfortunately, once prices go up on fabric- the LQS most likely will not drop their prices. Since they are the middlemen in the process, it is suggested by distributors that they mark up their fabric by double. Some shops don't do that - that is why we see prices from $8.70(The Old Country Store- Intercourse PA) - $11.25 (at my LQS-YIKES!!!) a yard for the same fabrics. The shops who buy more bolts of fabric get a break on multiple purchases and they can pass along those savings. If they move a lot of fabric, they can charge less- just a numbers situation. I know gas costs will have an effect on the overall cost but I think it will only make me go shopping in my stash.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:36 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Even if cotton and gas prices settle down, inflation is going to be our next problem. The Feds are printing so much money, it will catch up with us sooner rather than later. Then everything will cost more. I'm trying to stock up on basics like batting, thread and white yardage so I can shop my stash for as much as possible.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:42 AM
BMP

Once prices go up they almost never go back down !!! I cant wait for the elction to come and go and hopefully whoever is elected CAN DO something to help this nation !! Everything needs an updated overhaul !!!
Old 03-29-2012, 04:33 AM

Interesting, we'll see if the prices "go down" after the wave of pricier fabrics leave the shelves and the newer fabric comes in. It will be interesting to see what is to happen!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:10 AM

I'm surprised cotton came down. I read this article last month Dated March 5, 2012

http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/05/news...ndia/index.htm

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- India banned all cotton exports on Monday, causing U.S. cotton futures to surge and igniting fears of another jump in prices for cotton goods.

India decided to immediately impose the ban because it's worried about a possible supply crunch in the country. One reason: India's cotton exports may have overshot government targets last year, its Directorate General of Foreign Trade said in a statement.

U.S. cotton futures jumped 4.5% -- the most allowed in a single day of trading -- to 92.23 cents per pound following the news.

"This India development really caught the entire cotton industry and traders off guard because it came with no warning," said Phil Flynn, senior market and commodities analyst with PFG Best.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:52 AM
Banned

prices will never go down..it is like gas...they know you will buy it at ANY cost, so why lower the price?
Old 03-29-2012, 06:13 AM

I'm not waiting for prices to go up OR come down--just sent in an order to Connecting Threads for $2.48/yd (50% off fabrics, and already started a wish list for more from a $2.96 group that I'll likely order before the sale ends mid-April. Prices were too good to pass up, even with too much on hand already! (Since I'm "spending my children's inheritance" (hah!)I told them that if I die before I use it all up to be be sure to have an estate sale and mention Extensive Qullting Fabric Stash in the headline. ; P
Old 03-29-2012, 06:22 AM
QKO

Originally Posted by stchenfool View Post
Interesting, we'll see if the prices "go down" after the wave of pricier fabrics leave the shelves and the newer fabric comes in. It will be interesting to see what is to happen!
No, you won't, since the newest fabrics coming in are costing the retailer more than the ones now on the shelf. Prices aren't coming down at the wholesale level and are in fact continuing to rise.

If I had to reorder the exact same batiks for instance that came in this week, (which were ordered 3 months ago,) it would cost me 25 cents a yard more than I paid.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:44 AM

Just a comment , If you were a buyer at $10.00 per yard .. why would anyone sell you at anything less than $10.00?!! Same goes for oil .. it you buy at $100.00 per barrel , why would the lower the price!?!
And there are far more influences keeping prices High than raw cotton prices.