Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cotton Prices have gone down

Cotton Prices have gone down

My cousins husband who works in the cotton industry indicated to me that cotton prices have gone down. When I checked the prices are indeed less than 50% of what they were last year. Why are we not seeing the price of good quality fabric decreasing? I know there is a long lead time from the purchase of goods to the distribution of fabric, but does any one know if we can expect a decrease any time in the future. Anyone associated with fabric companies out there?
    Sherry

Blog Entries
    It's like when several years ago all of the prices went up for everything and they blamed it on gas prices but when gas prices went down all of those prices stayed up. They know they can get the money so they aren't going to lower them now that they are up. More money in their pocket. With the gas; it 's crazy but people do start watching how much they use and cut back so they have to adjust it but I guess we don't do it enough with other products to make them lower those prices.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Like you I sure havent seen the prices go down on fabrics or clothes made of cotton - we can only hope
    Grandmas are just antique little girls!!

Blog Entries
    How many times have you seen prices go DOWN? They go up so easily and quickly, but usually don't go back down to where they should be.

Blog Entries
    Hahaha. For a moment I thought I was reading a Ditter43 posting!!!!! Please don't hold your breath

I'm not an Economics expert but I do know this about a free enterprise system: the price for sale by the vendor must reflect the cost of requiring the goods from their suppliers. What is in the stores now was made with higher priced cotton; so to recoup their costs the retailer must keep their prices at a level that allows for that. Hopefully going forward when new lines debut made with the lower priced cotton the consumer will benefit. Retailers are you listening? Whatever you may think of Walmart their sale strategy of "rollback prices" translates into higher volume of sales. (tap tap) Is this mic on?

Last Saturday at my LQS we were told that although cotton prices have gone down, gas prices have gone up. Since the cost of transporting fabric is more, we won't see the prices going down until gas prices decrease. From my experience, once prices go up, they seldom go back down again.

QKO
    Cotton costs only account for about 15% of your fabric prices. A much larger portion of the fabric cost is due to oil prices, which affect the price of fabric at every stage. Oil prices are up, a lot.

Other factors are also creating increases in the cost of quilting fabric;

Shortages in the supply of the type of greige goods used to make quilting fabric due to cotton being diverted to other uses, such as clothing. The remaining goods are in short supply, thus cost more.

Shutdowns and re-purposing of printing mills used in the production of fine quilting fabrics are causing backups and delays in production. Manufacturers are able to produce fewer lines but have the same standing costs.

Less demand for higher quality goods due to consumers' demands for low prices means less high-quality goods will be produced, and those will cost more.

Rising standards of living in countries like Korea, China and Indonesia, where most of your quilting fabric and greige goods are produced, means higher salaries and higher prices.

I don't expect to see fabric prices come down anytime soon, if at all. The best you can expect is that the rate of price increase may slow down.
    Last edited by QKO; 03-28-2012 at 09:17 AM.

MY LQS said that prices were slowyly coming down. She has refused to up her prices over 9.99. She gave up the punch cards to keep her prices down. She knows she is making a smaller profit. but she does what she can to keep customers coming in the door. I would rather shop there than at Wal Mart since I get the individual attention.

QKO
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuusistoquilter View Post
    MY LQS said that prices were slowyly coming down. She has refused to up her prices over 9.99. She gave up the punch cards to keep her prices down. She knows she is making a smaller profit. but she does what she can to keep customers coming in the door. I would rather shop there than at Wal Mart since I get the individual attention.
    Please ask your local quilt shop owner who she's buying her fabric from. I'd like to know, since prices from all our distributors are continuing to rise. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by QKO View Post
    Please ask your local quilt shop owner who she's buying her fabric from. I'd like to know, since prices from all our distributors are continuing to rise. Thanks.
    My LQS kept prices at $9.60/yd. Went there recently & now $10.60/yd. If it goes any higher I have to find other fabric sources like thrift shops etc.

Unfortunately, once prices go up on fabric- the LQS most likely will not drop their prices. Since they are the middlemen in the process, it is suggested by distributors that they mark up their fabric by double. Some shops don't do that - that is why we see prices from $8.70(The Old Country Store- Intercourse PA) - $11.25 (at my LQS-YIKES!!!) a yard for the same fabrics. The shops who buy more bolts of fabric get a break on multiple purchases and they can pass along those savings. If they move a lot of fabric, they can charge less- just a numbers situation. I know gas costs will have an effect on the overall cost but I think it will only make me go shopping in my stash.

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Even if cotton and gas prices settle down, inflation is going to be our next problem. The Feds are printing so much money, it will catch up with us sooner rather than later. Then everything will cost more. I'm trying to stock up on basics like batting, thread and white yardage so I can shop my stash for as much as possible.
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

BMP
    Blog Entries
    Once prices go up they almost never go back down !!! I cant wait for the elction to come and go and hopefully whoever is elected CAN DO something to help this nation !! Everything needs an updated overhaul !!!

Interesting, we'll see if the prices "go down" after the wave of pricier fabrics leave the shelves and the newer fabric comes in. It will be interesting to see what is to happen!
    Love 4 stchen

I'm surprised cotton came down. I read this article last month Dated March 5, 2012

http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/05/news...ndia/index.htm

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- India banned all cotton exports on Monday, causing U.S. cotton futures to surge and igniting fears of another jump in prices for cotton goods.

India decided to immediately impose the ban because it's worried about a possible supply crunch in the country. One reason: India's cotton exports may have overshot government targets last year, its Directorate General of Foreign Trade said in a statement.

U.S. cotton futures jumped 4.5% -- the most allowed in a single day of trading -- to 92.23 cents per pound following the news.

"This India development really caught the entire cotton industry and traders off guard because it came with no warning," said Phil Flynn, senior market and commodities analyst with PFG Best.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    prices will never go down..it is like gas...they know you will buy it at ANY cost, so why lower the price?

Blog Entries
    I'm not waiting for prices to go up OR come down--just sent in an order to Connecting Threads for $2.48/yd (50% off fabrics, and already started a wish list for more from a $2.96 group that I'll likely order before the sale ends mid-April. Prices were too good to pass up, even with too much on hand already! (Since I'm "spending my children's inheritance" (hah!)I told them that if I die before I use it all up to be be sure to have an estate sale and mention Extensive Qullting Fabric Stash in the headline. ; P

QKO
    Quote Originally Posted by stchenfool View Post
    Interesting, we'll see if the prices "go down" after the wave of pricier fabrics leave the shelves and the newer fabric comes in. It will be interesting to see what is to happen!
    No, you won't, since the newest fabrics coming in are costing the retailer more than the ones now on the shelf. Prices aren't coming down at the wholesale level and are in fact continuing to rise.

If I had to reorder the exact same batiks for instance that came in this week, (which were ordered 3 months ago,) it would cost me 25 cents a yard more than I paid.

Just a comment , If you were a buyer at $10.00 per yard .. why would anyone sell you at anything less than $10.00?!! Same goes for oil .. it you buy at $100.00 per barrel , why would the lower the price!?!
    And there are far more influences keeping prices High than raw cotton prices.

This is probably the correct answer to the question. We won't see them go down, but maybe they can hold the line for awhile.
    Sharon (Gypsylady)

Cotton is a commodity, like gas and the prices are really set by the speculators in the market. Their goal is to make as much as possible. Like other addictions (and I'm really addicted to fabric) we pay for our habit. I tell people it is a fairly good addiction because you don't feel ill once it is acquired and it has great creative potential!

The only way the prices will go down is if we stop buying at the current price. My spending has certainly changed. It's such a shame, we have to quit buying fabric because we can't afford it which ends up closing down some of our quilt shops. Closed shops don't buy fabric from manufactures. A pretty big trickle down effect.
    Robin in TX
    Last edited by rob529; 03-29-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BMP View Post
    Once prices go up they almost never go back down !!! I cant wait for the elction to come and go and hopefully whoever is elected CAN DO something to help this nation !! Everything needs an updated overhaul !!!
    AMEN--We can only hope and pray for a real change!

Blog Entries
    they used to say that what goes up must come down! Well, evidently things have changed! Everything just keeps getting higher and higher.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast