Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cotton theroy questions >

cotton theroy questions

cotton theroy questions

Old 09-15-2014, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

I bought the book with a video. I have not made a quilt and probably won't. I read through the book when I got it, din't look like something I would do. At a later time I may change my mind.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:00 PM

If/when I make a QAYG I would do this method, NO strips and much easier and faster and no hand sewing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pL36s08wg4
It seems very easy while cotton theory is very confusing and used lots of material, and at today's prices that can hurt.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

What is cotton theory is my ?
peace
Old 09-15-2014, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

I've heard of cotton theroy, can someone explain it to me?
Old 09-15-2014, 07:24 PM

OK, I'll try to explain it, but some pictures sure would help, which I don't know how to do. Perhaps you could find a book about it at the library.
When you make Cotton Theory quilts, you make the blocks with the front, batt and back at the same time. Cut a piece for the center of the block, with one-inch seam allowances all around. Cut a back the same size. Cut a piece of batt as big as the finished block. Layer these together and quilt them (she does it with decorative stitches on the sewing machine).

Cut strips for the two sides: front and back with the one-inch seam allowance. Cut batt to match them. (Don't forget, the batt never gets sewn into the seam. It is only as big as the finished block.)

Layer and quilt. Sew these strips to the sides of the block, wrong sides together with the one-inch seams. Now all your seam allowances are on the front. Fold the seam allowance for one side toward the middle twice. Fold in the other side to meet in the middle on seam line. Sew a decorative stitch down the middle, catching both sides. The folds will show and stand out a little. This is called a "highway".

Now make the strips for the top and bottom the same way. Sew them on, but now you won't be able to fold them like the first ones because you have those bulky seams there. Fold all layers twice away from those seams. They are called "one-way streets". There is only one fold showing. Sew your decorative stitch on that seam.

If you fold the seam the other way, the back will show on the front. That's called a"free-way". I think you can only do that with highways, not one way streets.

Continue adding strips until your block is as big as you wish. Then sew a strip that joins two blocks together.

When you have a row of blocks, add a strip that joins two rows together. Watch out for your "intersections" here. When you have all the rows together, you're finished. It's all quilted. Sew the binding on the back, turn it to the front and stitch it down - by machine of course. This is a real good time to try out all your pretty stitches. And you could put in a "sidewalk" before you put on the binding.

It sounds complicated, but I first made a table center piece with two rows of strips around the middle, made a few freeways, and put in the sidewalk. It's on my kitchen table.

Good Luck!

Last edited by maviskw; 09-15-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:11 PM

Please do explain "cotton theory" and please do not recommend a video. Not all of us can access videos.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Please do explain "cotton theory" and please do not recommend a video. Not all of us can access videos.
Betty Cotton (that's her name) has the process patented. She calls it "Cotton Theory". It's a different way to quilt as you go. Some like it, and some say it uses too much fabric. With one inch seams, yes it uses a lot of fabric. But when your finished, you're done. It's all quilted. Put the binding on and be happy.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:24 AM

I have cotton theroy book one the pattern I want to use is called tick tack toe, on page 91. But I need my quilt to be larger than 102x102. So how much more fabric should I use to make mine 120 x120? Sorry for not getting right back to the board.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:55 AM

You sound like your have made one of these. Can you help me figure out the additional fabric I will need to go from the stated size tof the size I need?
Old 09-16-2014, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

it sound like a quilt as you go.
I've been quilting as i go since i was 12 (now 55)
made most of my quilts that way, but i use 1/4" seams.
just sounds like a way to use more fabric,
maviskw- thanks for taking the time to explain it to me. Very helpful And big Thanks again.