Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cotton, Wool, Silk, or Bamboo Batting (for hot folks!) >

Cotton, Wool, Silk, or Bamboo Batting (for hot folks!)

Cotton, Wool, Silk, or Bamboo Batting (for hot folks!)

Old 05-29-2014, 02:41 AM

Default Cotton, Wool, Silk, or Bamboo Batting (for hot folks!)

I'm finally making a quilt for ME thru my LQS Kansas Trouble Sweet Pea BOM. It's a square king sized and I'm trying to decide on batting. I'm still a beginner; this is the first time batting has ever really mattered to me, and it will probably be the 1st quilt I ever send off to be professionally quilted (will be used for my personal bedspread), since I have a domestic machine and my quilting skills thus far have been stitch-in-the-ditch, straight, diagonal lap quilts and baby quilts - nothing fancy.

THIS quilt is special - it's made by me, I love the fabric and design, and will be in our bedroom, used and on our bed. I want this quilt to look and feel nice! I'm even making matching drapes and balances.

We live in western Washington so it's cool year-round (doesn't ever really get to hot or too cold). But my husband and I are rather hot - if you know what I mean! I'm going through that season in life with night sweats; hubby prefers something light weight - he can't stand heavy blankets. So I'm looking at and comparing natural, breathable, light-weight batting.

But the more I research, the more confused I get. Should I go with 100% Cotton? Bamboo? Silk? Wool (which to me SOUNDS way too hot & heavy). Or a blend of some of these materials? Some of the silks and cottons I see contain 20% poly - should I stay clear of those (I assume the poly makes it less breathable and more lofty?).

I don't mind paying a little more than usual (I usually use 80/20 Hobbs or Warm & Natural and stock up on these when they go on sale or have a 50% coupon). But I looked at Quilters Dream Orient, for example (a blend of these materials) and was surprised at how MUCH more expensive it is (unless someone knows where to get it on sale?). Should I just expect to pay more for breathable batting?

I'd love the suggestions and recommendations of you seasoned quilters! What would you use for a special quilt, and where would you buy? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by icul8rg8r; 05-29-2014 at 02:45 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:25 AM

I'd go for a lightweight cotton, myself, and plan to use light cotton blankets instead of the quilt during warmer months, so you're not washing it constantly. I use Quilter's Dream cotton and love it. The LQS here don't stock it, so I get it from Hancock's of Paducah when there's free shipping.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 05-29-2014, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

I am not surprised you went into sticker shock over Dream Orient. Any Silk or silk blend batting is going to be VERY expensive. Silk is lovely though. It has unparalleled drape which is why it is often reserved for quilted clothing. It is also fairly flat (very low loft) so the quilting won't stand out very much. It is breathable and considered a medium warm batting(temperature wise) Silk is very luxurious and expensive.

Edited to add that CT currently has the silk on sale at 30% off. This silk does have a % of poly. http://www.connectingthreads.com/bat...HobbsSilk.html

W&N is very heavy weight wise. If you go cotton or cotton blend go with Quilters Dream or Hobbs 80/20, much lighter in weight than W&N

I think this website and the chart I have linked to will help you a lot
http://thecuriousquilter.wordpress.c...atting-basics/

http://www.scribd.com/doc/37522922/C...rt-Copyrighted

Last edited by feline fanatic; 05-29-2014 at 04:32 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:34 AM

Any natural fiber you use will be breathable. I agree the W&N is very heavy (but what I use all the time). I have not used it, but a friend uses the Quilter's Dream 100% cotton all the time. It, too, has a lovely drape. I'm in the same boat as you with the night sweats but I still like a heavy blanket/quilt on my bed. I currently have a heavy 100% cotton quilt; 100% cotton blanket as well as sheets. Even at the muggy 65 deg. nights we had here recently, I still used anywhere from all to none of those layers during the course of the night.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:04 AM

Wool is very light and breathable - that would be my pick.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:11 AM

I think w&n makes for a pretty lightweight quilt. That's what I have in my 'bedspread' quilt - used more as a topper than for actual warmth most of the year. I FMQ'd that one fairly densely and lots of quilting keeps a quilt cooler too, I think. (Removes all that puffy insulation space) Around here, nights are pretty cool even in the summer so we usually need more than just that quilt to stay cozy. I'm working on a new double-batted quilt to use on the bed during the cooler months that should be much warmer.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:34 AM

For my personal use I like to have weight when I sleep, which is a problem in the summer ( including personal summers if you get my drift), so cotton works best for me. I would think a cotton batting might be your best choice.
Just a note when I make my bed, under the spread I have one side with a cotton blanket the other with wool, so I can have a "hot and cold" side.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Wool batting is Wonderful for your situation! It is a joy to work with, lightweight, lofty, warm in winter cool in summer... A great choice. This is what I used for my special bed quilt... I am often cold,hubby too warm-this was best choice for us he loves it as much as I do.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

If I were you, and you can afford it, I would use silk batting. I took a hand quilting class from Roxanne McElroy, and silk batting was her favorite. She passed around a quilt that had silk batting in it so we could feel it -- very light in weight. I believe silk is supposed to be cool in summer, warm in winter too. Roxanne lived in Hawaii and used her silk quilts there.

Second choice, if silk is too pricey, would be Hobbs wool batting.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:14 PM

Wool and silk are the most breathable battings. My husband loves his nap quilt with wool batting and told me that all future quilts designated for him must be with wool!