Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Could you give me some input on difficult quilting blocks? >

Could you give me some input on difficult quilting blocks?

Could you give me some input on difficult quilting blocks?

Old 07-26-2016, 10:33 PM

What about the binding joining to beginning. Also corners in the binding I've seen some wonky and holey ones at shows.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:29 AM

Jean, it sounds like you've gotten a lot of suggestions. I'm sure you will have a lot of fun teaching and will soon figure out who your audience is and their skill level. We look forward to hearing about your successes and challenges.

Annette, I would sign up for your class in a heartbeat... what a beautiful project.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:45 AM

Think back at your own experiences.....what each "new" challenge was and how you have worked it out.....
Old 07-27-2016, 05:24 AM

I think folks who have been involved in sharing quilting skills with others are simply trying,with the kindest of intentions, to share some of the pitfalls that can cause a stumble. This is the kindest, most supportive group anywhere although sometimes straying away from/interpreting differently/not understanding the original question gets a thread in a twist.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:01 PM

As former teacher, I assume my students know nothing. You will find "aces and spaces" in any group. Try to find one block that has some of the problems in it and teach that one first. You will soon find out just how advanced they are. Also, as has been said, talk to the shop owner and try to talk to the students you will be teaching to see if they have experience at all. I had one lady in a beginning quilt class who did not know how to thread a needle. She ran yards and yards of thread off the spool and attempted to thread the needle.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:04 PM

I think many people, no matter how long they've sewn, have trouble with -- or are afraid of -- Y seams.

I've just done a 6 pointed star quilt and I learned a lot, mostly from all the mistakes I made. Some Y seams don't scare me, but the ones in this quilt were daunting -- especially when you're trying to match points from stars above and below rows.

Might be too much for beginners, but simple Y seams, as in attic window quilts, would be good to teach, I think.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:26 PM

Here's an even EASIER METHOD. Used this for a number of years so I don't have to worry about the finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWh90tXr7g4
Old 07-28-2016, 08:20 AM

A fun sampler quilt with novice skill for me was Eleanor Burns cross roads. The variety of blocks was perfect for someone like me with a bit of a challenge.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
Accurate cutting techniques. You can sew the straightest 1/4 inch seams in the world, but if fabric is not cut correctly, it will be almost impossible to match corners, etc.
And if the edges of the fabric pieces are not exactly lined up with each other the patches will never be the correct size, and overall, the top will not lie flat! Can't tell you how many times I've seen a 1/8th seam allowance on one side and a 1/4 or 3/8th inch seam allowance on the back side of a seam.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:49 PM
mim

I taught beginner and intermediate classes. I always tried to ask what went wrong with a block and then taught how to fix it (if possible) and how not to do it again.

Another problem with many blocks is how were the seams pressed?? The many seams coming together can usually be a pressing direction problem.

We all have little sayings to remember a technique -- curves -- your waist is above your hips == the in curve is above the out curve which makes easing much easier.

Asking the shop owner is a great idea -- she/he must hear problems and sad stories all the time. The shop will get raves when you teach how to solve and avoid those problems.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Mim