Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If You Could Give a Memory

If You Could Give a Memory

Recently while thinking about my ever growing family...soon to be 11 great grandchildren.....the thought came to mind.... if I could give a memory from my childhood (76)to them that they could never experience in their lifetime what would it be?

For me it would be the freshness of the morning air....the smell as sunshine dried the newly washed laundry hanging on the line blowing in the breeze.

I asked my husband what he would give them....His answer was the sound and whistle of the steam engine train chugging along....I remember that too...at night with the windows open and the lonely sound in the distance.

What memory or experience would you give?

The memory of being able to run/roam the neighborhood freely, without fear of anything bad happening!!

Power Poster
    Playing hide and seek with my sisters and neighborhood friends until we heard our mother calling to come in for supper. We were free range children with no worries about stranger danger.

Probably the thing they would be best able to relate to are the technological changes you have seen over your lifetime. TV - black & white only to color to smart TV's (which I don't even understand!); telephones; space exploration. Things that they think are perfectly normal that didn't exist when you were a child. Gives them a completely different perspective.

The days the majority of families went to church, believed in God and prayer started the day at school. Being able to say grace or pray in public without being stared at or made to feel ashamed. Knowing you could trust others and close a deal with a handshake. Seeing people helped others in need without being asked and not expecting anything in return. Seeing the younger generation show respect their elders and for each other.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

BETTY62 hit it right on the head. I totally agree. We say grace in public wherever we are. Maybe it is because we are both East Texans.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Blog Entries
    This brings to mind the memory my Grandmother gave me, when she told me what the journey had been like crossing the continent from Mass. to Nev. in a covered wagon. And what it was like living in a frontier town.

I haven't thought about it. I do tell my 28 YO Granddaughter a lot about the changes I have seen in my lifetime, almost 70 years. I have been a big part of her life and now she works with us, so I get more time to talk to her than any of the others. She has no kids yet. We are expecting our 4th Great Grand in Oct. I don't get to spend time with the other three.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Funny! The 1st thing that came to mind was using the Outhouse.

just being outside a lot until we had to go in. playing in our bare feet as it is raining
    outside..

I'm hard pressed to come up with just one. I'm 75 and so much has changed in my lifetime. Yep, I remember when my grandparents got indoor plumbing. I certainly was grateful for that!!

I was always smitten with the stars when I was a kid and I think that most of the coming generations will not be able to experience the pure magic and awe of looking at the night sky and seeing the milky way in all its glory. There just aren't many places left in the world where you can do that. You might find this an interesting site on the subject. http://www.darkskiesawareness.org/idsc.php
    Pat

Waiting outside on a certain day for the produce man to come by in his wagon to get favorite Ga peaches or veggies!
    A family/friends luncheon after church
    A fun Friday nite at the drive-in movies
    Telling stories about what your grandparents did in the past or what it was like at that time
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

Quote Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
    The days the majority of families went to church, believed in God and prayer started the day at school. Being able to say grace or pray in public without being stared at or made to feel ashamed. Knowing you could trust others and close a deal with a handshake. Seeing people helped others in need without being asked and not expecting anything in return. Seeing the younger generation show respect their elders and for each other.
    i cannot add much more to this. Perhaos home cooked meals and the entire family gathered around it. The mom, dad, etc. Younger generation showing respect FOR THEMSELVES!

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    Probably the thing they would be best able to relate to are the technological changes you have seen over your lifetime. TV - black & white only to color to smart TV's (which I don't even understand!); telephones; space exploration. Things that they think are perfectly normal that didn't exist when you were a child. Gives them a completely different perspective.
    This one is so true. My now 9yr old grandson at about age 4 was watching Little House on the Prarie and was amazed that there was a time that not only were there no cars, bikes, etc but there was no electric or batteries. He was also amazed how alot of people had to walk because they couldn't afford horses. That became his favorite show to the point that a few months later they had an all night marathon with the show and this 4 year old stayed up all night watching Little House on the Prarie. He also started watching the Waltons at the same time. It totally amazed him. When I bought my tredle he was again amazed that something could run without electric. He knows that that machine, my antique bedroom set that he's loved since a baby is his when I go. He loves knowing that. I tell him we didn't have toys growing up, it was outside playing with sticks or skipping and playing in the creak by the house. That we had to go to that creek to get water and take a bath in a galvanized tub behind the wood heating stove. It's not that we didn't have the things in our house, but most of my life my father wouldn't have them turned on because of the cost. What would he think if he saw the cost of the utilities today. I try to tell my kids and grandkids about the way I grew up because they'll never experience it. You should of seen my daughters face when I showed her my elementary school house that's still standing, 3 rooms and the outhouses out back. We were fortunate then. We were poor so I got to experience things that my cousins didn't experience because they had more money. Looking back, those are the good old days.
    Judy

My memory would be odd. It was when I first flew in an airplane and then years later actually soloing the first time. The song "Fly like an Eagle" came to mind. Didn't have a happy childhood.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    My memory would be odd. It was when I first flew in an airplane and then years later actually soloing the first time. The song "Fly like an Eagle" came to mind. Didn't have a happy childhood.
    I had one of the worst childhoods imaginable so there are things that I pick that gives me happy memories. Like the "snowball" bushes along my grandmothers yard. They were actually hydranges but we didn't know. She also had the adirondeck chairs that I loved. Going to her barn and drinking cider out of the barrel. Spending the one summer with my other summer, it was great because I knew there'd be no abuse since I wasnt around my father. Skipping along the creek. Or my sisters and I going out and chopping down the Christmas trees even though we knew there'd be no presents under it the next morning. We rarely got to be around the other family and that's where our best memories were made. Like we were there on Easter and it was my birthday and I won the contest for getting most eggs. My cousin and I were two months apart so we used to tell everyone we were twin cousins. I chose not to concentrate on the bad stuff and then find the good things to remember. I don't have a lot of memories of my mom but before my dad stole us all of the ones I had with her was good. She'd never whip us but was the best at putting kids in time out and making sure we didn't make a sound. All we ever got was love from her. I think in life you can either dwell on the bad memories which will make you unhappy or forget the past or do like I do, chose the few good memories and keep them close to your heart. My kids know all of my childhood, I felt it important for them to know what I went thru but we only talk about the good things now. I hope everyone has some good memories to fall back on, no matter how small.
    Judy

Saturday all day at the movies. A lot of cartoons, a cliffhanger serial, and two movies. Candy and popcorn. All this for less than a quarter.
    Open areas even in the city. Beaches without crowds and this in Venus California.

I wish my grandkids (and kids) could have experienced my dad and his friends sitting around on a weekend evening playing bluegrass music while the wives sat in the kitchen and drank coffee and ate some dessert someone had made and brought and the kids ran around playing hide and go seek and tag and chased lightening bugs. Great memories don't cost a thing but are priceless!
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

sit down, at the table, family meal each night, without the tv on

Blog Entries
    Going elk hunting with my dad. Seeing a sunrise over Fort Peck lake,with the fog of the breath over the backs of elk grazing...a snappy,cold,Fall morning.
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Loved spending the night at my maternal grandparents. They loved to pull their bed onto the back porch in the warmer months and sleeping outside. Many thought they were crazy. They would make a pallet on blocks so I could sleep there also. We would just lay there and be lullabied to sleep by the night sounds. One night a skunk woke us up. Grandpa didn't know just how near he was so we ended up going inside to be on the safe side. If they had a hard time sleeping in the winter, they would crack a window about an inch or two so they could get to sleep.

The question started "if you could give a memory". Are you giving memories? Every Sunday my Mom (97) starts the week (besides going to church) by sending an email to all her off-spring - 5 generations and over 120 people. She wishes happy birthdays to each person having a birthday in the following week, gives the general news of the week, gives an inspirational thought for the week, and shares a family story (she's a genealogist) or a personal story from her life. I have learned so much about my mother and my family history. We all treasure these emails and get very nervous if we haven't heard from her by noon! Some of us "reply all" every week and some reply occasionally. Though we are scattered all over the nation/world these emails keep us close. Maybe this would work in your family.
    Shirley in Arizona

Blog Entries
    Playing outside without worrying until dark, seeing cherry blossoms growing up in Japan, beautiful! !

Blog Entries
    I'm 55 and no grands here. but I remember playing outside till the lights went on and being able to roam the neighborhood without a care of someone snatching you. I remember when I was 8, my mom leaving my sister outside the grocery store with the other carriages of sleeping babies. You'd have your kid stolen now or the cops called. that's how it was back then.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Several have already written what I thought of first - playing outside, no adults, just being with friends. And I lived my first 9 years in New York City! We were safe, everyone on the block knew every kid. My father had a car, always a spot in front of our building, and if it rained my friends and I would just get in the car to play, it was never locked. The freedoms of childhood continued when we moved to NJ. Kids would be somewhere in town with their friends, parents never worried, and when the 8 p.m. siren went off that meant time to start for home. Parents walking you to and from school? Maybe the first few days of kindergarten. After that, you walked with your friends.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast