Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: If/When someone asks "Can/Will you fix this ....."

Power Poster

If/When someone asks "Can/Will you fix this ....."

I have learned to say " I need to see it before I can say yes or no."

I have learned that there are some things I just won' t deal with.

I have also learned to refer people to others that might be able to do the job.

Sometimes just saying no feels really good!

Blog Entries
    Bravo for you! Too often, we say "Sure" when we don't know what we're getting into!
    Sue

Smart lady. So many people think because you have a sewing machine you are a seamstress. I have a favorite seamstress so I usually just laugh and go, all my clothes go to ....

Blog Entries
    people like to say, since you like to sew, you won't mind doing.....
    YES, I do mind, I hate that when people say that. Then they act all offended when you say no.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    I tell people that I only sew new stuff that I make. Ten years ago when I got a new machine this guy that if short asked me to shorten shirts he bought that were to short. He told me I had time because I run around our little town all the time. I just laughed. His sister wouldn't do it either for him. Now I just bought a Pfaff Creative 4.5 and people are asking to make quilts for them. Tell them there are so many things I want to make I just don't have time.

Bearisgray....you are so right! I have learned to say the same thing! I can do most "fixes" I just might not like to! I've been asked to replace favorite jacket zippers, which I don't mind doing...but someone wanted me to replace his jacket zipper but jacket was so dirty, and he was a smoker...so I said he would have to wash/clean it first...He said..."can't you do that?" NO....I did not!!

If it is clothing, I automatically say "Sorry, I don't make or repair clothing anymore. I only quilt." Because, frankly, I don't want to deal with clothing anymore!
    Tenacity is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with the absolute certainty that what we are looking for is going to transpire. -Oswald Chambers

I do small repairs ,hemming but I charge.When I ask for them to drop off work at my house they never do. They expect pick-up and delivery too...Made a duvet cover for a co-worker,got a yrs worth of fresh farm eggs......
    Mary

Blog Entries
    If its family I will repair -remake or create for them. Any body else I just say no. I have taught a few people how to sew so they can do their own repairs. I have a laundry basket of my own mending I don't make time to do.OK the truth is I have the time just not the inclination.

Asking a quilter to repair clothing is like asking Picasso to paint your garage! The answer should (usually) be NO!

I agree. I say I will look at it before I say I will do it. I sew but I do NOT preform miracles!

I hate to patch blue jeans!!-- not good for the machine and not good for my temper!! --
    diane

Quote Originally Posted by lclang View Post
    Asking a quilter to repair clothing is like asking Picasso to paint your garage! The answer should (usually) be NO!
    I love fixing up stuff to use again. I fix anything the grand-kids (or my kids) give me. My daughter bought 5 snowsuits at a rummage sale that needed fixing. I cut up one black one, and used the fabric from it to fix the other four. What fun. Then she donated them back to a place that gives clothing to those who need it.
    When I'm finished with some of my patching, I tell them it looks like Picasso did it. LOL
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Ever hear the word JUST? You just have to sew long pieces together for me for my curtains, it's so easy for you. It's just a small zipper that needs to be put in. I HATE THE WORD JUST. When I hear it I know now to say No.

I try to avoid fixing other people's stuff. I have done so in the past for a fee, for free and for family. Got burned a few times. Now I refer them to someone who does it for a living. I just don't have time for other people's stuff. I do fix stuff for my kids and my SIL - which I hate doing. Can't seem to get away from that.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

I was at the post office, mailing a top to my longarmer when the postal clerk asked me to repair some quilts she got from her grandmother ! Needless to say, I directed her to a local vendor.

If someone asks me to make them a quilt, I just say, you can't afford me!! Or sometimes I say, it takes me 2-3 years to make a quilt sometimes, can you wait that long! They don't ask again.
    Linda58

"A human being has a natural desire to have more of a good thing than he needs." --Mark Twain

Perfect retort!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda58 View Post
    If someone asks me to make them a quilt, I just say, you can't afford me!! Or sometimes I say, it takes me 2-3 years to make a quilt sometimes, can you wait that long! They don't ask again.
    This is exactly what I say! When I over heard a nurse tell some one not to pay to have her name put on her jacket that I would do it for free, it taught me a big lesson! They make a LOT more money than I do, and that's how they keep. By taking advantage of others.

Love this!! Not that I'm the quilting version of Picasso but still love it.

I had a neighbor start off with "Since you make quilts and all I thought you might be able to fix this three-corner tear in my expensive trousers." I told him I had a wonderful seamstress where I send all my own clothes for mending, altering, etc. (and I do!!) and gave him the directions. Haven't heard a word since. lol
    Pat

DH will ask me to mend something every now and then. I don't mind, he does support me. LOL. To othersI say no I don't want to. My kids won't ask because they know I'll say I'll show you how to do it yourself.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I will repair some of our horse blankets, but that's it!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

It depends on who is asking. When a 4-year-old says, "Grammy, I have a hole in my dress", I'm not going to say no until we decide together if it really can be fixed or not.

Blog Entries
    I just asked the local cleaners, who do do alterations, for a small handful of thier business cards and offer them to anyone wanting repairs or alterations. The only exceptions are DD1, DD2, and DH.

I really should admit, that there have been a few requests, that can only be answered "Sure, just let me fetch my magic wand!". Lol!
    Last edited by madamekelly; 03-28-2015 at 10:20 AM.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Good for you. If your heart isn't in it, you shouldn't have to force yourself to do something that is suppose to be a hobby and enjoyment.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast