Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   If/When someone asks "Can/Will you fix this ....." (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/if-when-someone-asks-can-will-you-fix-t263228.html)

bearisgray 03-27-2015 12:44 PM

If/When someone asks "Can/Will you fix this ....."

I have learned to say " I need to see it before I can say yes or no."

I have learned that there are some things I just won' t deal with.

I have also learned to refer people to others that might be able to do the job.

Sometimes just saying no feels really good!

Pinkiris 03-27-2015 02:00 PM

Bravo for you! Too often, we say "Sure" when we don't know what we're getting into!

toverly 03-27-2015 02:06 PM

Smart lady. So many people think because you have a sewing machine you are a seamstress. I have a favorite seamstress so I usually just laugh and go, all my clothes go to ....

lynnie 03-27-2015 02:07 PM

people like to say, since you like to sew, you won't mind doing.....
YES, I do mind, I hate that when people say that. Then they act all offended when you say no.

Bueniebabe 03-27-2015 04:25 PM

I tell people that I only sew new stuff that I make. Ten years ago when I got a new machine this guy that if short asked me to shorten shirts he bought that were to short. He told me I had time because I run around our little town all the time. I just laughed. His sister wouldn't do it either for him. Now I just bought a Pfaff Creative 4.5 and people are asking to make quilts for them. Tell them there are so many things I want to make I just don't have time.

Anniedeb 03-27-2015 07:09 PM

Bearisgray....you are so right! I have learned to say the same thing! I can do most "fixes" I just might not like to! I've been asked to replace favorite jacket zippers, which I don't mind doing...but someone wanted me to replace his jacket zipper but jacket was so dirty, and he was a smoker...so I said he would have to wash/clean it first...He said..."can't you do that?" NO....I did not!!

cindi 03-28-2015 12:37 AM

If it is clothing, I automatically say "Sorry, I don't make or repair clothing anymore. I only quilt." Because, frankly, I don't want to deal with clothing anymore!

Mary O 03-28-2015 01:23 AM

I do small repairs ,hemming but I charge.When I ask for them to drop off work at my house they never do. They expect pick-up and delivery too...Made a duvet cover for a co-worker,got a yrs worth of fresh farm eggs......

Stitchit123 03-28-2015 03:07 AM

If its family I will repair -remake or create for them. Any body else I just say no. I have taught a few people how to sew so they can do their own repairs. I have a laundry basket of my own mending I don't make time to do.OK the truth is I have the time just not the inclination.

lclang 03-28-2015 03:50 AM

Asking a quilter to repair clothing is like asking Picasso to paint your garage! The answer should (usually) be NO!