Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   If/When someone asks "Can/Will you fix this ....." (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/if-when-someone-asks-can-will-you-fix-t263228.html)

Onebyone 03-28-2015 08:45 AM

DH will ask me to mend something every now and then. I don't mind, he does support me. LOL. To othersI say no I don't want to. My kids won't ask because they know I'll say I'll show you how to do it yourself.

Kitsie 03-28-2015 09:06 AM

I will repair some of our horse blankets, but that's it!

kacie 03-28-2015 09:56 AM

It depends on who is asking. When a 4-year-old says, "Grammy, I have a hole in my dress", I'm not going to say no until we decide together if it really can be fixed or not.

madamekelly 03-28-2015 10:16 AM

I just asked the local cleaners, who do do alterations, for a small handful of thier business cards and offer them to anyone wanting repairs or alterations. The only exceptions are DD1, DD2, and DH.

I really should admit, that there have been a few requests, that can only be answered "Sure, just let me fetch my magic wand!". Lol!

ManiacQuilter2 03-28-2015 10:24 AM

Good for you. If your heart isn't in it, you shouldn't have to force yourself to do something that is suppose to be a hobby and enjoyment.

JanieH 03-28-2015 10:36 AM

I usually laugh and tell them as soon as I finish the mending in my own basket which dates back to 1999, I will get right on theirs.

Sandra in Minnesota 03-28-2015 01:20 PM

Iclang took my answer. The answer works too - I use it often. I have never been a clothes sewer.

kydeb 03-28-2015 04:49 PM

I generally refuse to do any outside sewing - especially clothing. I just don't want to deal with clothing anymore. I have one friend at work that I did a couple of things for her as a favor which was way out of my norm. A new employee assumed that since I make quilts, I can (and will) do sewing for anyone. One day she came in and announced to me that her skirt had a hole in it and since it was her favorite, she would bring it in to me the next day so I could fix it for her. REALLY??? Luckily, I was able to get out of it quickly and gracefully by telling her she needed to go buy an iron on patch (denim skirt) and she could fix it herself. I don't quilt for others either - unless I make a quilt as a gift.

jitkaau 03-29-2015 02:41 AM

I enjoy doing it. The rural pickers often came to get their work clothes repaired. I had a couple of rules: the item had to be clean and they had to put up with whatever material I used to repair the item. They usually quite liked the combinations I came up with when reparing a sleeve or collar etc. I usually got a bag of fruit as payment. These days I am mostly shortening neighbours' jeans. Some ladies give me donations that I repair or alter and take to the charity shop. Sewing is therapy for me and this way it keeps me happy with very little expense.

lots2do 03-29-2015 04:07 AM

I had to have my winter coat fixed twice this year. The twenty dollars total that I spent to have a seamstress do it was a small price to pay to not have to do it myself. So sometimes I even have to say no to myself!
Good advice to remember, bear....