Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   If/When someone asks "Can/Will you fix this ....." (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/if-when-someone-asks-can-will-you-fix-t263228.html)

maryb119 03-28-2015 04:52 AM

I agree. I say I will look at it before I say I will do it. I sew but I do NOT preform miracles!

Abby'smom 03-28-2015 05:11 AM

I hate to patch blue jeans!!-- not good for the machine and not good for my temper!! --

maviskw 03-28-2015 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by lclang (Post 7143981)
Asking a quilter to repair clothing is like asking Picasso to paint your garage! The answer should (usually) be NO!

I love fixing up stuff to use again. I fix anything the grand-kids (or my kids) give me. My daughter bought 5 snowsuits at a rummage sale that needed fixing. I cut up one black one, and used the fabric from it to fix the other four. What fun. Then she donated them back to a place that gives clothing to those who need it.
When I'm finished with some of my patching, I tell them it looks like Picasso did it. LOL

jetmaio 03-28-2015 05:46 AM

Ever hear the word JUST? You just have to sew long pieces together for me for my curtains, it's so easy for you. It's just a small zipper that needs to be put in. I HATE THE WORD JUST. When I hear it I know now to say No.

sewmom 03-28-2015 05:51 AM

I try to avoid fixing other people's stuff. I have done so in the past for a fee, for free and for family. Got burned a few times. Now I refer them to someone who does it for a living. I just don't have time for other people's stuff. I do fix stuff for my kids and my SIL - which I hate doing. Can't seem to get away from that.

TexasTillie 03-28-2015 06:27 AM

I was at the post office, mailing a top to my longarmer when the postal clerk asked me to repair some quilts she got from her grandmother ! Needless to say, I directed her to a local vendor.

Linda58 03-28-2015 07:32 AM

If someone asks me to make them a quilt, I just say, you can't afford me!! Or sometimes I say, it takes me 2-3 years to make a quilt sometimes, can you wait that long! They don't ask again.

wendiq 03-28-2015 07:33 AM

Asking a quilter to repair clothing is like asking Picasso to paint your garage! The answer should (usually) be NO!

Perfect retort!

Crqltr 03-28-2015 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Linda58 (Post 7144301)
If someone asks me to make them a quilt, I just say, you can't afford me!! Or sometimes I say, it takes me 2-3 years to make a quilt sometimes, can you wait that long! They don't ask again.

This is exactly what I say! When I over heard a nurse tell some one not to pay to have her name put on her jacket that I would do it for free, it taught me a big lesson! They make a LOT more money than I do, and that's how they keep. By taking advantage of others.

sparkys_mom 03-28-2015 08:19 AM

:D :D Love this!! Not that I'm the quilting version of Picasso but still love it.

I had a neighbor start off with "Since you make quilts and all I thought you might be able to fix this three-corner tear in my expensive trousers." I told him I had a wonderful seamstress where I send all my own clothes for mending, altering, etc. (and I do!!) and gave him the directions. Haven't heard a word since. lol