Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Counting change >

Counting change

Counting change

Old 09-25-2011, 06:33 AM

Another topic (The price of squash) made me think about something else. I don't check my receipts from stores, but I do know if it's grossly out of whack, but I do always count my change and I do it the "old fashioned" way ... backwards.

You know, total comes to $54.28 and you hand the cashier $100. I look at my change and count that as $55, then I count the bills upwards until I get to $100.

This is the way I was taught when I was a grocery store cashier in the days before registers told the cashier how much change to dispense. It comes in handy for those times when you make cash purchases at places that don't have registers. But I still do it at regular registers because while I trust the register to do math, I need to know that the math had the right formula to begin with ... IOW did the cashier enter the correct sum that I handed her which will determine the amount of change to dispense. And I have found errors like this, cashier entered $10 instead of the $20 that I handed her.

But so many youngsters today don't have this skill, and don't even know it exists. Some cashiers look at me like I have horns coming out of my head when they see me count the change again.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

I know. It pays to check your register slip. Yesterday I was charged twice for a $12 item. Just happened to look over it.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:39 AM

I also count my change the same way. What is sad is that nowadays the register will tell the cashier how much change to give back....and the person has no idea how to MAKE the change. Example...your order is $33.49 cents you pay with a $100 and the register is telling them your change is $67.51 they stand there with the dumbest look because they dont know how to make $67.51. Makes you wonder why schools even have math as a class when the kids now a days use calculators. I learned to use my fingers, toes, freckles.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

My nieces's algebra teacher told me at a parent's teacher's meeting that he teaches algebra on the calculator. The kids don't have to write out the problem solving process on paper, just write down the answer they get on the calculator. I told him it was just a class how to use the fancy calculator, the children weren't learning thought processes how to solve problems. My DGD goes to a very small school and no calculators are allowed in algebra class or on tests but the teacher does have a course on how to use the fancy calculators. The teacher is also having a class after school how to use the slide rule. The kids thinks it's super! Two teachers had to volunteer so many kids come to that after school class. The hardest part was finding enough slide rules to use. LOL
Old 09-25-2011, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

Can't go knocking "all" the youngsters -

Many of them are taking Advanced Placement classes and are way ahead of the game.

"Some" are very math/arithmetic deficient. So are some "adults"

Maybe some of the responsibility for what kids are taught should be placed on the school boards and who controls the school boards?
Old 09-25-2011, 07:29 AM

I was shocked recently when my granddaughter asked for a calculator to do her homework...she's in the second grade! I tried to talk her out of it, but my DDIL assured me that the teacher encourages the kids to use calculators! It's no wonder people can't make change these days.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

i went through the drive in of a fast food place and gave the clerk my money which included some change so she would only give me paper money back. she couldn't figure it out. i told her what it should be. she called her Manager who told her to give me an incorrect amount! i had to tell her also. sigh!!!
Old 09-25-2011, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Can't go knocking "all" the youngsters -

Many of them are taking Advanced Placement classes and are way ahead of the game.

"Some" are very math/arithmetic deficient. So are some "adults"

Maybe some of the responsibility for what kids are taught should be placed on the school boards and who controls the school boards?
My niece's classes are in the higher placement classes. She is taking college prep courses. She uses the calculator for all her math even on tests. (for those without students in their home, it's not the average calculator but more like a mini computer) I haven't seen much difference in the higher placement classes as far as learning, just need those requirement on paper to get a better chance of getting into the college of choice or a scholarship. That's the only part they play in getting a student ahead of the game. My niece can ace all her tests taking but for actually knowing anything, not so much in what I have observed.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:08 AM

the worst I have seen, is when I wetn to buy 20 ft of chain ( we lived on a farm) the poor girl only had a 10 ft measure...... she had to go find assistance to see how to measure the length I wanted...
My children were allowed to use calculators AFTER they proved they knew how to do it with out....

there are pros and cons to every technology.....
Old 09-25-2011, 08:09 AM

I'm teaching students to count change this way.