Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Couple of Question? >

Couple of Question?

Couple of Question?

Old 03-25-2013, 08:16 AM

Default Couple of Question?

I need some help & advice. These may sound like trivial questions to most of you but, I want to do this right. So I'm trying to figure out all the things that go with quilting. First of all where do you find the best price for your clover glass head extra fine quilting pins? Joann's with a coupon or some other site? I keep looking & haven't been able to commit to buying from one site yet. Also, when you do your hand sewing ( bindings, etc.) do you use the Thread Heaven or the Dritz Beeswax? Is one better than the other in Your opinion? Thanks for any or all your help & assistance. Vonda
Old 03-25-2013, 08:23 AM

For me, the local JoAnns' store don't carry the best Clover glass head pins, which are the 0.4 thickness. Those are the finest, and our JoAnns' only carry the 0.5 thickness. They look the same as the other ones (yellow and light blue transparent glass heads) but they're much thinner. There's a BIG difference. I can only find the ones I want from the vendors at big quilt shows. I'm sure you can find them and buy them online, too. As for the Thread Heaven , I use and like it. I've never used the Dritz beeswax.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:33 AM

I believe Hittle has the best price on the Clover pins. http://jhittlesewing.com
I've tried both Thread Heaven and Dritz Beeswax and I can say I much much prefer
the Thread Heaven. It's a lot smoother and doesn't make any mess. I used it to
baste my quilts and it went a lot faster with Thread Heaven. No tangles, etc.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 AM

I bought my pins at Michel's and love them. I use the beeswax and have used it for years in all my sewing. I think it is best to try things out and find what you like best.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

I have used Amazon to buy pins, and also http://www.createforless.com . I use the Clotilde glass head pins .5mm and like them a lot for general quilting use. However, I glue baste and don't pin for piecing; the .4mm might be nicer for piecing. For myself, the length of the pin is important too. I like very long pins and the Clotilde are 1-3/8" long.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:57 AM

Our local Joann's store puts so much on sale that I can't find much on which to use my coupons. Hope you have better luck with yours. It used to be you could go and buy something at a wonderful discount, but this last year or so literally almost all the fabric is "on sale". I asked a clerk if there was any cotton fabric NOT on sale and she led me to a single short wall with about 30 choices, all drab. I have gone out w/o purchasing anything the last 3 times I went there. I rarely bother anymore.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

Become a fan of all the quilt notion manufacturers, quilt shops, quilt book and magazine publishers, thread manufacturers, sewing machine companies, and quilt designers on Facebook. Coupons and discounts are often posted on their Facebook page for products, even Hittle has special buys for their Facebook fans. I have a false Facebook page just for quilting Facebook Likes. Lots of free patterns, discounts, sales alerts, tutorials, special buys and give aways.

example today this was posted: $2 off any daily admission ticket for Quilt Festival Cincinnati! Click on the link below

Last edited by BellaBoo; 03-25-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:52 PM
Banned

I don't believe there is one place to get the best deals. Just the same as no one grocery story has the best prices on their products....you just have to search. The suggestion that quilt shows have the best selection is a good one especially if there is a booth selling just notions.
As to Thread Heaven or bees wax. Bees wax leaves too much wax on the thread for me. Thread Heaven is better.
However, I find the best is the finger moistioner you get at the office suppy store - that stuff you use to sort money or papers. Doesn't leave residue or stain and keeps my thread from tangling better than anything else and is much less expensive. I use it for all hand sewing.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:57 PM

BellaBoo, How do set up af
fake facebook page & also locate the quilt stores, etc to "like"?

Thank you, Marilee
Old 04-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

I use silk pins. They have red glass heads and are very fine.

As for wax. I use my favorite scented votive candle. After threading run the thread along the candle and then run the waxed thread under a 'warm iron to get rid of excess wax. This works great.
peace