Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Crazy Quilting - can anyone recommend directions? >

Crazy Quilting - can anyone recommend directions?

Crazy Quilting - can anyone recommend directions?

Old 05-25-2008, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Izy
I bet you will now be choosing the fabrics and clothes depending if they match your theme for the quilt lol!!! :D :D
how is it you can read my mind from so far away? :wink: :)
Old 05-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Izy

quilters intuition?????? :lol: :lol:
Old 05-27-2008, 08:11 PM

This post is behind by a few days, but we've been out in the woods camping (of course I took some piecework I'm currently working on).

I did my first crazy quilt a year and a half ago. The best advice I got was that the sky is the limit. I had asked several people whether it was better to do squares and connect or to do one giant canvas and go to town. This is like jeopardy, I gave the answer before my question. Yikes!

A fabulous resource for me, found at our local library, was a book entitled "The Magic of Crazy Quilting" by J Marsha Michler. I pretty much wore that book out.

I tried to attach a picture to a post I tried to send earlier. I'll try again in a separate post. I don't want to loose this post and have to retype again. If there is no picture, I was unsuccessful. I share this computer with two teenage daughters who usually use our daily limit of uploads and downloads. Alas, I will try though.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:15 AM

Fabricluvr.. crumb blocks are addictive!!!!!!!!!!!!! and soooooo much fun!
Old 05-28-2008, 03:19 AM

When I make my big crazy patch blocks, I like to use my rayon embroidery threads and machine embroider over each seam. it looks really neat!!! I have some photos at home I should look for them and post them to show you what I mean. I am making one now for Trevor for his birthday. He is a HUGE HUGE Van Halen fan. He and his good buddy went to see them in concert back in October in Toronto. They took photos of themselves at the concert and the group. So while he was at work one day, I went in on his computer, snooped around found the photos plus other photos of the band back in the 80s and printed them off onto photo transfer paper. Each photo will be in the center of each 14" block and then lots of funky crazy patch fabrics around it. Then embroider them. This will be a birthday gift for him for August.

I am also planning to make one to teach this coming September. I have made a bunch of them and looooove making them!
Old 05-28-2008, 04:15 AM

thanks SallyJo - my library has Marsha's book. i've put it on hold for when we get back from vacation!

Quilting Aggi - would love to see your crazy quilts! i've never used rayon embroidery threads, but may have to give it a try!
Old 05-22-2009, 06:00 PM

Thanks Izy, for your tutorial on this! I wanted to make the pincushion K3n made, and had no idea how to do the block part!
Got some really cute buttons at JoAnn's sale today to embellish it, and really cute button pins to put in it when I get it done! :D
Old 05-22-2009, 10:28 PM
Izy

Originally Posted by Diana Rainer
Thanks Izy, for your tutorial on this! I wanted to make the pincushion K3n made, and had no idea how to do the block part!
Got some really cute buttons at JoAnn's sale today to embellish it, and really cute button pins to put in it when I get it done! :D
I love the crazy pincusions too!1 They are on the list to do for a few xmas pressies, please post piccies when you have made some Diana :wink: :D
Old 05-23-2009, 06:12 AM

I found this to be a good instruction for crazy blocks.

www.quilterscache.com/H/howtomakeFSSCrazyBlocks.html

try it and see if it makes sense. That is how I made my crazy pillow but I added embroidery to mine

Jane
Old 05-23-2009, 06:43 AM

Hey Izy!! I recognized some of that fabric! lol