Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone recommend a good manual can opener?

Blog Entries

Can anyone recommend a good manual can opener?

Not the "smooth edge" kind that lifts off the lid; just the old-fashioned kind that cuts the lid from the can.

I have been going crazy looking for reviews on Amazon and the net, and there seems to be something wrong with every one of them. Some that used to get rave reviews (such as Pampered Chef) seem to be not so good anymore because of design changes. My dh picked up the one we currently have (KitchenAid) at Walmart and it soon developed problems.

I'd like a can opener that will last at least a year! Specifically, I want one that does not leave the annoying 1/16th of an inch gap in the can so I have to pry the lid open with a knife. I want one that makes a clean cut. It would be great if it lifts the lid off for me, but that's not an absolute necessity.

Anyone have one that has lasted at least half a year they can recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    Not the "smooth edge" kind that lifts off the lid; just the old-fashioned kind that cuts the lid from the can. Anyone have one that has lasted at least half a year they can recommend?
    I have an OXO Softworks Smooth Edge Can opener that I like and have had for at least a year. I couldn't find it on Amazon but at the Target site....search for: OXO Softworks Smooth Edge Can opener. There's one with that name on the OXO site but it's not the one I have. The "knob" on top that you turn is kind of a cross. I start at a spot near a "box" on the label and go around til it feels like it's releasing. Then you take the little "pincers" and lift up the lid. Not the best description!! but I do like it! It's a bit pricy and I think I got mine at Target but don't remember paying that much ($18).
    OXO SoftWorks Smooth Edge Can Opener

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Pollytink. I found it on the Target website, but this is the "smooth edge" kind I was hoping to avoid. I may end up having to go "smooth edge" if I can't find a traditional cutter that does a good job and lasts. (sigh)

I like mine from Pampered Chef.

Blog Entries
    I read that the older Pampered Chef can openers are great, but that the current ones being sold are not as good. Is there a model number on the older ones I can use to search eBay?

Blog Entries
    The one that I have and have had for years just says Good Cook on it. I do not open cans that often maybe 6 times a month.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I just got the Kitchen aid one. They come in lots of colors.......mine is red.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...sic+Can+Opener
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Blog Entries
    I have bought all of the above and they don't last long enough to justify their cost's. I was browsing through an Antique store and came across an old one called ''Swing Away'' it attaches to the side of a cabinet or where ever you want to put it. It is from the late 50's /early 60's My Dad has been using it for over 3 yrs and loves it. It is easy to use and stays sharp. He can't stand the noise the electric ones make-

Blog Entries
    Been using my pampered chef one for 8 years now, still working fine.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Not the "smooth edge" kind that lifts off the lid; just the old-fashioned kind that cuts the lid from the can.

I have been going crazy looking for reviews on Amazon and the net, and there seems to be something wrong with every one of them. Some that used to get rave reviews (such as Pampered Chef) seem to be not so good anymore because of design changes. My dh picked up the one we currently have (KitchenAid) at Walmart and it soon developed problems.

I'd like a can opener that will last at least a year! Specifically, I want one that does not leave the annoying 1/16th of an inch gap in the can so I have to pry the lid open with a knife. I want one that makes a clean cut. It would be great if it lifts the lid off for me, but that's not an absolute necessity.

My husband thinks I am nuts when it comes to openers. I can not get them to start the cut easily. I have tried different brands also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Heavy-Du...8AAOSweW5VVNDO

Blog Entries
    OXO is the only one that I've found that works for a long time. I had one for years (after using many that didn't work for long) and when my daughter moved out I gave it to her and bought a Cusinhert (sp?) and it didn't last 6 mos. After several failed ones I asked my daughter what one I gave her, it was the OXO with the soft handles. It's low cost and last for a long time.
    Judy

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I can't help you with a sharp edge can opener but I love my smooth edge can opener. It is Kuhn Rikon. I got it on Amazon. It is easy to use, has little teeth to lift the top off once it's cut and I've had it for a long time and still works great. It also has a bottle opener, lid lifter for home canned things and a cap twister for bottles.

Blog Entries
    I too had been in search of a good one and found one about a year ago at Walmart. I doesn't have a name brand on it, just says "Made in USA" on the handle that turns. I would highly recommend it.

Blog Entries
    Swing Away brand is what we use. They last a long time. We had an electric one in the 70's. Hated cleaning it. We also have one by Kitchen Aid that I bought just because it was red and it's lasted for 5 years so far. Got that one at Ross Dress for Less or Target or someplace like that.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I have had an OXO for a few years now. It was a gift, so I'm not sure where it was bought. It works as good as when it was given to me.

I have noticed some canned goods now have the pull tab on top....not sure I like that...could cause a spill if not pulled slowly..or what if that tab breaks off.....go in the gadget drawer and find that old can opener!

i like the kind that give a smooth top.......

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
    I have bought all of the above and they don't last long enough to justify their cost's. I was browsing through an Antique store and came across an old one called ''Swing Away'' it attaches to the side of a cabinet or where ever you want to put it. It is from the late 50's /early 60's My Dad has been using it for over 3 yrs and loves it. It is easy to use and stays sharp. He can't stand the noise the electric ones make-
    I Highly recommend Swing-A-Way! My grandparents had one forever, my parents have one, and we have one - I've never had to replace ours. Ours doesn't attach to anything, it's just a regular can opener (that cuts the lid out, doesn't lift it off), and it's awesome!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-30-2018 at 01:28 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    I love the smell of Best Press in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Pollytink View Post
    I have an OXO Softworks Smooth Edge Can opener that I like and have had for at least a year.
    I have one too and I have never had a problem with it. I love anything that this company makes. Might be a tad more expensive but quality does count with me. I think I bought it with some Kohl's cash.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I bought a regular "Farberware" about a year ago and it works great.

This is the brand we have too. They never seem to wear out. I was shaking my head at the lack of sense during an ice storm and no power for several days, many of our neighbors had no way to open their can goods. One had to go to the ER trying to use a knife to open a can.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-30-2018 at 01:28 AM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

We have several OXO kitchen softgrip items including the can opener, we've had it for probably 5 yrs now, it is still going strong. Both DH and I read good reviews on the OXO items.
    I find them at Target.
    I agree with you -do not care for the other variety.
    Good luck!

I have one made by Tupperware I've had forever. It still cuts lids just fine. I think I paid about $9. but that was years ago.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

I bought the Pioneer Woman's can opener from Walmart. About $7.00. Works great, easy to turn. Love it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast