Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: crazy quilting

Does anyone out there use crazy quilting very much? I'd like to start using it for things like pillow case borders and bags. There seem to be several techniques for doing it and I'm not sure which is the best one. Do I need a pattern? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Sunflower

I've never done it, but I'm sure a google search would yield lots of options.

Just did a quick search. This site has 7 patterns, some are blocks and some for other items.

http://www.nmia.com/~mgdesign/qor/styles/crazy/crzayqlt.htm

Izy
    Quote Originally Posted by sunflower
    Does anyone out there use crazy quilting very much? I'd like to start using it for things like pillow case borders and bags. There seem to be several techniques for doing it and I'm not sure which is the best one. Do I need a pattern? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Sunflower
    Sunflower - there is a recent post - how to make crumb block tutorialinb pdf format I just put up, it will be near the top of the recent topics list. This will show you how step by step...crumb is just another term for scraps!!! :D

The link to the site I posted has a cute little needle case pattern, may have to make one, even though I don't do a lot of hand sewing, would be nice for storing my needles.

I went through a crazy quilt phase years ago. For pillowcases, you'll need to make suitable washable substitutions - velour instead of velvet, poly instead of silk. Wash everything before piecing, then let your imagination take over! It's a great place to use bits of lace, doilies, ribbons, and such.

Will you be embellishing with hand embroidery, or using some of those shiny rayon threads?

Blog Entries
    doesn't using a pattern for a crazy quilt sort of defeat the purpose? how crazy can it be if you use a pattern? :?: :mrgreen:

didn' think of that :oops:

Izy
    Quote Originally Posted by mary705
    didn' think of that :oops:
    Mary - no need to feel embarrassed - thats just Patrices wicked sense of humour coming through lol!!!

I interpreted sunflower as needing to learn 'how' rather than looking for a pattern lol!!! :D

LOL, thanks Izy

Izy
    There is another way to do crazy patchwork which looks really effective if you use fancy embroidery patterns and beautiful threads.....if you use a muslim foundation just position all the pieces in any order you like pinning them in place (or you could use a fusible stabilizer) then top stitch using any nice stitches, make them all different with different threads....it is lovely.....I will do one and post it if you would like to see!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast