Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Creating a fabric emporium ? >

Creating a fabric emporium ?

Creating a fabric emporium ?

Old 02-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

I am a quilter. That is my artistic outlet. I don't understand why this is so hard for someone to understand. Would they be upset at a person who is an artist that collects paints and canvases?

I respect my materials and patterns and take great care of them until they are used. I can't always afford to buy the latest and greatest. But, I really enjoy sewing and quilting for the people in my life and charities. It is a part of who I am personally and what I have always been since I was a child.

I am not saying everyone should have materials ahead, but, for me, it is a big part of my life.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 02-05-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:48 AM

I've been looking at my stash, a lot I've had for quite a while, and thinking it needs to be seriously weeded out for reasons stated by others. I've also got a lot of quilting magazines that I'm trying to weed out too - got way too much quilting stuff for my limited needs. Will take some of it to the next quilt guild meeting where we have a free table to make deposits to for other quilters to take if they want something.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:57 AM

I'm like you, PatriceJ, trying to practice some self-control and shop my stash.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:11 AM

I,too, have a large stash. For me, it is invaluable! When I was working I bought a lot of fabric,3 yards or more. Why? You know the old saying" Hope for the best but plan for the worse"? I am so thankful now that I bought all that fabric when I was working, because I am now physically disabled and can''t work. So I lost a lot of my income. That's why I love my stash. I usually can find what I want and I don't have to go and buy new fabrics. The one thing I am low on is neutrals, but, when I see one I like and on sale, I will still buy some, but nowhere near the amount that I used to. So for me, having a stash means that I can still do some quilting,even though it does hurt to do it. Whatever works for YOU, is what you should do. Having a stash is what works for me.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:30 AM

I love having a stash and admit I have an "emporium." I look at it as having a big box of crayons with lots of choices. I reorganized my stash a year ago and folded everything and stacked it so I can see what I have. It has been inspiring. I am an organized scrappy quilter. I have only made 4 or 5 two or three fabric quilts, the rest of mine have multiple fabrics. I always look to my stash first. Most time I have what I need. When I buy, I try to decide if the fabric is a background or forefront fabric. I ask myself Will I use in the blocks or is it a border fabric and buy accordingly.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:47 AM

Mentioning fabrics being outdated prompts me to ask this question: Do you buy fabrics that are trendy or stick to your own color preferences? Sometimes I feel I am in rut because I simply adore florals with soft colors, can't bring myself to buy primaries or anything really dark. I get irritated with retail focusing on colors that are "in" . Remember all he blue and brown combinations, looked good but just not me. Hope I haven't change the thread. Just whip me with a wet noodle!
Old 02-05-2014, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

My stash started out simply enough, but I love a good bargain, so when I see a sale of fabric, I like to buy 3-4 yd. pieces, especially of a white, off-white, white on white, cream on cream, etc. I also took advantage of quilt shop sales, particularly when they were changing out bolts and were offering their fabrics for $3.99/yd., so I stocked up on larger pieces to use for backings. Another time I took advantage of a quilt shop going out of business, one that specialized in batiks, so although I may have gone a little (? ) crazy, I was picking up colors/patterns of batiks for a batik Boston Commons quilt that I plan to make just for my self, so I finished up my search for the right batiks. I should add that I was working at the time and had the resources to take advantage of the sales. Fast forward several years and we are down sizing from a 3-bedroom house with full basement to a 2 bedroom apt., with lots less space. I had difficulty cutting down my stash, as well as that of my sister's when she passed away, but amazingly I cut it by half. Although DH wanted me to get rid of half again as much fabric, I drew a line in the sand and said NO. Now that DH is disabled and we are both on SS, I'm glad I have that stash so that I can enjoy my love of quilting. I will buy fabrics for particular projects, and just recently made a quilt for our DGD entirely from my stash and only buying the backing fabric. I'm still glad I drew that line in the sand so that I can "shop" from my stash so that I can continue to enjoy my love of quilting.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

I adore my stash... it is my inspiration!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:17 PM

After learning from yesterdays board about making Leaders & Enders into usable pieces after sewing them together I have decided to let my DGD have some fun with my GO! And cut some 2" blocks out of all the smaller scraps I have. It will be a win/win situation for us both, she too is learning to quilt while I teach myself. She is passing me up just coming up with her own designs.....me?? I'm still using kits. LOL
Old 02-06-2014, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

I have a lot of fabric that I have bought over time. I will and do use it in scrap quilts. borders and small projects. When I bought the fabric, it was cheap enough that it does save a lot of money when used for small projects as well as bigger ones...