Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
creative stripolgy verus june tailor >

creative stripolgy verus june tailor

creative stripolgy verus june tailor

Old 03-30-2016, 04:34 PM

I love my june tailor shape cut and shape cut plus(larger version) I just put the grip dots in the 4 corners to control slippage. I have had both of mine for many years with no issues. They are pretty easy to use and cost a lot cheaper than the creative grids version that does the same thing.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:19 PM

I love my June Tailor shape cut, too. I bought a Stripology a year or so ago, thinking it would be better, and have found that it just doesn't work for me at all. I ruin fabric with it nearly every time. I've had other people check to make sure that nothing is wrong with it, and everyone does fine with it except me. Even with half my quilt guild watching, nobody could figure out what I do differently that causes so much trouble with it. So back to my trusty June Tailor!
Old 03-30-2016, 10:55 PM

I own both. I use them at different times. If doing a run of stripes from each fabric would use stripology mat as it holds a large area of fabric still while I can cut more than one strip at a time. I use June Taylor ruler for odd stories.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:46 AM

I can only speak of the JT and I have had no issues with knicks. I use a 45 or 60mm blade depending on how many layers of fabric I am cutting and I take it easy when inserting the blade into the desired slots... I cut on my dining room table which is lower than my laundry room counter so it gives better leverage.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

I used clear packing tape to put two June Taylors together to see if I liked it better that way. They are still together. My blade doesn't go over the edge anymore and easier to start the blade. I also have the Stropology ruler and it's a good one to take to class/workshops as it is more rigid. I like the markings on it better.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:48 AM

I've had my June Taylor for years and never had a problem, but I'm careful when I place the cutter blade in the slot. I wouldn't dream of cutting 2.5 strips any other way but using JT ruler.

My accuracy is there and when finished I hang it back up on the pegboard behind my quilting room door. It's very flexible and I knew if I did anything but hang it, I was taking a chance on breaking it.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:54 AM

I have the June Taylor and use it frequently. It does have lots of nicks on the ends of several slots, but it doesn't affect the cutting. Much cheaper alternative to stripology.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
Still prefer my Alto's Quilt Cut2 to either of these. It's more versatile. Bought it years ago and its still going strong.
Love my Alto cut also!
Old 03-31-2016, 08:51 AM

I have the original Shape Cut, the Shape Cut Plus, and the Stripology rulers (I'm a gadget junkie!). The original Shape Cut is smaller, and only has slots up to 12 inches. The Shape Cut Plus is larger, and has slots up to 18 inches. The Stripology is a tad larger than the Shape Cut Plus - slightly longer (slots up to 20 inches) but the slot length is shorter (~10.5 inches vs. 12 inches for the Shape Cuts). The Stripology does have the symbols across the bottom to mark the 1.5 and 2.5 inch cuts, which the Shape Cuts don't have, and there are vertical markings across the slots if you are cutting strips of a specific length, also absent on the Shape Cuts. However, it is easy to modify the Shape Cuts with grippers and I modified mine with nail polish dots under the 2.5 inch increment slots, which is cheap and easy. I use the Shape Cut when I'm not cutting a larger amount strips because it is smaller, and most often the Shape Cut Plus when I'm cutting a larger number of strips because I can make more cuts without moving the ruler. I rarely use the Stripology - I find the surface too busy with all the markings.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

I bought the Alto Quilt Cut 2 before the JT or Accuquilt was used. I find the Alto to awkward to use. My cuts never come out the exact same size and I had the dealer watch me use it. After checking, her's weren't perfectly the same after the third and forth cut either. Lining up the metal ruler with the edge of the fabric, it has to be exactly lined up as the previous cut to get all the same. Cutting squares? I spent more time lining the strips up then it was worth. I use the mat, it's a fantastic mat.