Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Creative ways for storing threads and bobbins >

Creative ways for storing threads and bobbins

Creative ways for storing threads and bobbins

Old 10-21-2014, 08:11 AM

I am with you, I hate the threads all over and tangled. I found Thread Socks at Joann's Fabric store. It is plactic stretchy netting that you cut to the length you need. I keeps the threads under the netting and keeps order. You could probably find it on Amazon if Joann's are out of it. Works great. Amazon also has all kinds of different size plastic bags that can fit your thread and matching bobbins. I also have seen a rubber band wrapped around twisted around both. Joann's has small plastic cases with ajustable deviders/ or you can cut cardboard to fit inside what case you already have.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
I purchase small plastic bags from the jewelry craft area a WalMart. I put my spool of thread and bobbin in one bag together. They are then stored in a plastic box. It works because it keeps my thread and bobbin together and they do not get tangled. I do this with all my threads because I transport them to guild and UFO's. The plastic bags come in various sizes, but WalMart only has a couple of them. Hobby Lobby has a large number of sizes. They are not expensive and I use the larger ones to store and transport my cut squares for piecing.
Where are these bags located at in Hobby Lobby?
Old 10-21-2014, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by EmbQuilt View Post
The connecting thread box for thread storage http://www.connectingthreads.com/Too...r__D82068.HTML

looks like the matchbox type boxes that I got at Walmart several years ago for like $5
Love this idea! My problem is I mostly use cones, so I only have to make 1 thread purchase per quilt, but still love this arrangement!
Old 10-21-2014, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
I have seen those wonderful things with the little spindles, but I worry about dust. I like mine in plastic boxes. I've got five of these, and there is room for bobbins to stay with the thread of its color so that I do not get confused.
Wow that is perfect!
Old 10-21-2014, 09:33 PM

[QUOTE=Carol34446;6937604]Get one or two of the plastic shoe boxes at Wal Mart and cones store great in there. Have serger thread in several.
Connecting thread http://www.connectingthreads.com/tools/Double-Sided_Multi-Craft_Carrier___That might work, ty, I use the coes that are small at the top & larger at the bottom so I can use just one cone for the entire queen quilt. But I think your idea would work perfectly, I also wind Bobbins while sewing so I can switch out quickly when my bobbin runs out. Thanks again for the great idea!
Jeri
Old 10-22-2014, 01:34 AM
Power Poster

My joanns has something very close to the Connecting Thread one. The dividers are adjustable so easy to fit the thread. I have a large one and also a small one for traveling.
I also use the plastic piping for the bobbins and they work great.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
How about Cone thread containers? Anyone have ideas about them? I buy cones a lot so I have a good supply of neutral thread for piecing and for SID (can't do FMQ yet). The cones don't really fit on the wooden spindle holders. Speaking of which I was given a large piece of (ack..can't remember the name of the board with holes in it) board that had 2 of the spool thread holders attached to it, what a great idea, of course it is old so I'll have to disassemble, clean and get new (hole board) & attach the spool holders to...PEG BOARD..thats the name of the board with holes in it DUH me. So close to having my newly remodeled sewing room I can taste it, getting it painted at the end of this month then flooring put it & set everything up it's going to be awesome to be able to turn around in without bumping into or knocking something over in.
Jeri...excited beginner!!
Hey, I cut some straws and put over the pins and it worked out fine for me and the board is called peg board. My cone thread fits on it just fine, just dab a little Elmer glue into the straw piece and push it onto the peg, works great, gives the cone more stability. Hope this helps you. Have a nice day
Old 10-24-2014, 04:40 PM

This may have been mentioned already, but this is what I do. I store my thread in plastic boxes, deep enough that the spool can stand up. Then I use a golf tee and stick the bobbin with the spool of thread