Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Eagle Scout quilt >

Eagle Scout quilt

Eagle Scout quilt

Old 10-22-2014, 07:53 AM

Default Eagle Scout quilt

I want to make a quilt for my grandson who just became an Eagle Scout. Any ideas? I thought of embroidering an eagle or doing an applique block of one in the center but am lost for how to do the rest of the quilt. Any suggestions??
Old 10-22-2014, 08:25 AM

Hi there. I too have #1 (of 2) DGS becoming Eagle with ceremony in Dec!! Sad thing is, he lives in China. But his mom has requested, as a surprise, a video of special folks congratualting him, etc.
I didn't make him a quilt but found some beautiful Eagle pillow panels. Have his done. Did it up in a wallhanging & I quilted around the bird. I'm going to make his bro one too (he'll become Eagle next yr) & am thinking about making my son (making Eagle many yrs ago) & son-in-law (he's a Scout Leader) one too. I have #1 a grad quilt all done & am working on #1 DGDs, both next spring… Then next yr, #2 DGS, then very next yr #2 DGD…. I wish I could post pic but for some reason I can't get pics to load….
You know this is such an achievement!! FYI: only 1 out of every 10 boys that sign up for Scounting, make it to Eagle!!! Sure will look good on a college entrance/job resume. My avatar is pic of them taken 4 yrs ago but they are now so big.
Good luck in a your decision…...
Old 10-22-2014, 08:35 AM

I like both of the ideas here, applique or embroider an eagle and using panels of eagle fabric. I bought some neat fabric with eagles on it when on an Alaskan cruise. Unfortunately, it also has bears and fish in the pictures, so it wouldn't work for your purpose. Fons and Porter have an eagle applique in their quilts of valor section.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

Google Novelty fabric/eagle. I found a lot of fabric for my DH for cars and pin ups. Just ordered some Sunday so should get here tomorrow. Hart Fabrics.com have a lot of novelty.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

I Google and their is a variety of ideas of what other quilters made for their Eagle scout.

https://www.google.com/search?q=eagl...w=1244&bih=870
Old 10-22-2014, 10:34 AM

I made a quilt for a friend's son who made Eagle scout. I found a panel of an eagle soaring over some mountains. I used it as a base for a twin quilt. The rest was a double Irish chain with the panel sitting where the foot of the bed would be. (The blue is water and fish for being on the swim team. The brown and some tan are cave pictures and such for studying to be a social studies teacher.) Not too good at attaching pictures, but will try.
Attached Thumbnails 20060600-quilt-lower-res.jpg  
Old 10-22-2014, 10:39 AM

Wow! Krafty14. That is an incredible quilt. The pattern is perfect with the fabrics. I love the blue piece.

Congratulations to all of the Eagles!...and to their families.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:45 AM

What a great idea! Love the way it turned out. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:06 PM

I made an Eagle Scout quilt for my nephew using Eleanor Burns pattern here: http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/book/1370. Relatively easy and I used the Boy Scout fabric. Congratulations!! Becoming an Eagle Scout is a great thing! It is the only thing a boy can do in his youth that he can use on his resume forever.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:54 PM

I made one for my son with his merit badges and some shirts. i also used the Eagle emblem. it came out beautifully!.