Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Crown Royal quilt with scrappy yellow fabric:  Is this OK? >

Crown Royal quilt with scrappy yellow fabric: Is this OK?

Crown Royal quilt with scrappy yellow fabric: Is this OK?

Old 07-03-2016, 09:07 AM

I washed all the bags in hot soapy water in the washing machine and then dried them in the dryer. I deconstructed them by hand while watching TV according to a YouTube video I watched. I then ironed all the pieces I think I will use, I actually have enough to make two quilts but only cut apart the ones I wanted which were the biggest pieces. I decided to go ahead and use all my various yellow fabrics that look good with the logo. I have some square templates that I will use in cutting out the logo, it's for a 3" block and I will be very careful cutting them as there is little room on the sides, I guess my 1/4 " seam will be close. I would never make another one of these just because I don't sew for others with their fabrics, I much prefer using my own fabrics the way I want. I emailed the mother of this nephew asking if she agreed with the design we picked out and so far, no response. So no response, no quilt until I get one. If she doesn't like what we picked out, then I don't know where we will go with this quilt.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:17 PM

Thanks for letting me know how you washed them. You are being very good to give the mom a choice. I'm a you get what you get type of quilter. It's so hard to quilt with someone else's idea of what goes together. The one I might try is a square in a square design with sashing and cornerstones. Simple. but the center Crown on point, words horizontal. There used to be a Royal Crown cotton quilting fabric too. I have seen it in quilts but not on the bolt in stores so it is probably discontinued. I agree with you, if she can't reply, I wouldn't work on it.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:07 PM

One of the ladies in my quilt group made a Crown Royal quilt for her son. It is outstandingly beautiful.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:21 PM

I think your color choices sound good. (I gave away the C.R. bags that gravitated to me. I NEVER could picture them in any pattern but Drunkard's Path.)
Old 07-04-2016, 06:03 PM

Funny to read this when a little tiny Crown Royal bag fell into my hands yesterday while thrifting. Just one. Also found a great many Bottega Veneta cloth storage bags with the leather tags on their cinch ropes.. hmmmm ... they are all either grass green or navy blue. Good for storing shoes or purses - but this gives me another idea. Too bad though their logo is only on the tags.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Greenheron View Post
I think your color choices sound good. (I gave away the C.R. bags that gravitated to me. I NEVER could picture them in any pattern but Drunkard's Path.)
What a hoot! Now I want to make one. Wonder if I can get a full pie shape out of the bag. I know what I am going to try today.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:22 AM

I had many bags saved, but decided against a quilt after I prewashed 4 of the bags. I used a different method/soap on each and none of them came out looking like something I would want to spend many, many hours sewing. I suggest you prewash some of the bags, then decide if it is worth the time and effort.