Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Crumb block vs. Crazy quilt block. The difference is...? >

Crumb block vs. Crazy quilt block. The difference is...?

Crumb block vs. Crazy quilt block. The difference is...?

Old 11-26-2011, 12:18 PM

Default Crumb block vs. Crazy quilt block. The difference is...?

I started quilting making crazy quilts but knew nothing about what I was doing so covered a whole 1 1/2 yard piece of muslin with various pieces and embellished away. Later I say crazy quilted blocks put together with and without and sashing. Now crumb blocks are all the rage. I have made a few but can't resist embellishing. So does that change it to a crazy block? What are the rules?
Old 11-26-2011, 12:29 PM

That makes it a Katy Special.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:02 PM

Some will say that crazy quilt is done with a mixture of non cotton fabrics, satin, velvet, brocade, etc., while crumb quilting is done with cotton scraps.

But for me, I would call it what I want, start a new trend, give it your own title.

I worked in a tariff regulated world for over 20 years, so I rebel where and when I can. I do quilting for fun, I don't follow "the cardinal rules", except I do a 1/4" seam always. I prewash and don't prewash, I set, and don't set, I iron and I press. For me my little quirks lead to my individualism, and my creativity. My quilts are handmade and are not perfect. I am not a machine, my moods show in my blocks. When I make something, it is a part of me, of my every day life. So Katy, try not to worry about "labels", just please yourself. Life is short, enjoy the ride.

Originally Posted by Katy View Post
I started quilting making crazy quilts but knew nothing about what I was doing so covered a whole 1 1/2 yard piece of muslin with various pieces and embellished away. Later I say crazy quilted blocks put together with and without and sashing. Now crumb blocks are all the rage. I have made a few but can't resist embellishing. So does that change it to a crazy block? What are the rules?
Old 11-26-2011, 01:12 PM

I second what nhweavr said. But you sure have my curiosity up and would love to see a picture of your creation. Hint! Hint!
Old 11-26-2011, 01:47 PM

And I will third it, you can do it however you like and call it what you want. If someone complains about it or says your wrong, tell them you don't listen to the quilt police, but are coming up with your own original designs and who knows you might get paid for them someday. Who is to say what is right or wrong. The "old time" quilters used whatever they had in whatever manner they thought most attractive, so why can't you do the same. My two cents worth for the day. themachinelady
Old 11-26-2011, 02:10 PM

I am the queen of doing it my way. I teach a group of newbies on Thursday nights and I teach them how to be careful with their rotary cutters and explain how to use their tools and such but I tell them it is their quilt their way. When they push for me to make their decisions I say it looks good if it is how you want it to look. I will guide but not rule. They are really funny. One of the ladies who has been there longest laughs when she hears someone ask that kind of question and she says you aren't going to get her to do your thinking or creating for you. But I just kind of wondered about that question. I am doing what I want and I am embellishing. I have 6 1/2 inch squares. Is that usual, smaller or larger than usual crumbs and is anyone else embellishing them? Curiosity is more what I am thinking as opposed to hard and fast rules. But thanks for permission to do my own thing. I will post a pic as soon as figure it out on this new site.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:16 PM

If you're making the quilt, you make the rules. Doesn't matter what you call it, it's art, it's beautiful, and it's yours.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Power Poster

Someone on QB showed a crumb quilt that started with paper pieced small blocks in the middle. They still called it a crumb quilt so I think you can still call yours a crumb quilt. The paper pieced blocks were great and I want to use up some of my misc. small PP blocks in the same way. You can just say yours are "crazy crumbs" if anyone asks.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:33 PM

Despite rumors to the contrary, there is NO such thing as the quilt police. That means you can call it as you like. I think the term 'crazy quilt' used to refer to the blocks that used up left over pieces of clothing. Back in the day when there were no ready made clothes. They were pieced much like the crumb blocks we love, but they were embroidered to show off the lady's handiwork. Crumb blocks, to me, are modern day crazy blocks, as we make them to use up our scraps, but don't usually (as a RULE! lolol) embroider them. (sorry for the RULE pun...)
Old 11-26-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
Some will say that crazy quilt is done with a mixture of non cotton fabrics, satin, velvet, brocade, etc., while crumb quilting is done with cotton scraps.
To me crazy quilt blocks are a mixture of fabrics and embellished with needlework and trinkets and lace. Crumb blocks are all cotton with no additions.

Now if YOU add the embellishments to cotton crumb blocks, you'll have to name the block...and I think it would look neat!