Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting devices >

Cutting devices

Cutting devices

Old 01-25-2016, 07:28 AM

Default Cutting devices

I am confused about the various cutting devices such as Go, Accuquilt, Silhouette and so on. When you use these devices do you precut your fabric to a specific size before it is placed in the device to cut your shapes? What I'm confused about is cutting WOF strips. When you want a large # of one die size, such as a hexes in 3" size' can you do one size quantity at a time? The ads show several sizes on the same die board. Do you HAVE to do multiple sizes at the same time?

Finally they seem so expensive with questionable value to me. I am the queen of buying stuff then rarely using it. DH has asked me several times if I'd like one, but am afraid it would be yet another dust catcher for me. BTW I don't mind cutting with a rotary cutter and do not have physical issues that limit what I can cut myself. Would love to hear thoughts from you.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

I still just cut with a rotary cutter. I prefer to oversize some of my pieces to then be able to trim them down to the perfect size. I am also on a limited budget.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

With the Accuquilt, you do not need to pre-cut the fabric before running through the machine. Excess fabric just rolls under the machine with the die.

With the multiple shape dies, you place fabric layers only on the die cut you want; you just don't place fabric on the others on the die. In this case typically you would fan fold the layers and finger press the folds before placing the fabric on the die.

What I find the Go! really useful for are triangles (the die pre-cuts all the corners so piecing is very accurate) and other odd-shaped pieces such as hexagons and circles. It is also really nice to have for certain blocks, such as Hunter's Star, which are difficult to cut and piece accurately. I like to do freezer paper applique sometimes, and the Go! dramatically speeds up the cutting of the freezer paper templates. Many people like the strip dies, but I prefer to rotary cut strips myself using my June Tailor Shape Cut mat.

There are many Youtube videos you can watch that will give you an idea of how the machine actually works.

I don't know much about the Silhouette; I think it is more for cutting your own applique ideas out accurately, one at a time. The Go! is made by Accuquilt and comes in two forms nowadays -- manual crank and electric. I have the hand crank but would get the electric if I were buying now (users who have both love the electric). Accuquilt also makes the Go! Baby, which is smaller and the Studio (sometimes on sale for $395). I would love to have the Studio because it cuts so many pieces at one go, but you need dedicated space for it as it is a heavy machine.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

Accuquilt is the manufacturer of the GO! and Studio fabric cutters. This type uses a die which consists of a sharpened steel blade embedded in a wood or plastic base. The blade is bent to cut the shape of the piece. Each die is a 'one trick pony' it will cut only shape(s) it's made for. The die, fabric and a cutting mat are sandwiched and inserted in the machine where pressure is applied to force the fabric into the blades. The dies can be pricey, so this type of cutter is good for shapes that you are going to cut lots of: squares, triangles, apple cores etc. They can cut multiple layers of fabric in a single pass, making quick work. They do make shapes that you can use for applique (flowers etc.) but unless you are planning to do a lot with that shape it may not be cost effective. Other manufacturers besides Accuquilt make these too. An example is the Sizzix BigShot. The dies vary in size and thickness, so you need to check that the die you purchase will fit your cutter.
The other class of cutters are computerized. The Cameo (Silhouette is the manufacturer), ScanNCut (manufactured by Brother) and Cricut (manufactured by Cricut!) are some examples. There are others. Basically the unit cuts a shape that is supplied by a computer file. They only cut one layer of fabric at a time, so are great for appliques that will be used for only one project. It certainly is possible to cut an entire pieced quilt, but it takes a bit of time and dedication. The machines vary in the files that it will accept. Some will only cut shapes from a cartridge provided by the manufacturer, some will also scan an image and cut it and some have a program that runs on your PC that will let you draw what you want, then cut it. Almost all will let you enlarge or shrink the shape and place it exactly where you want on the fabric. They are very flexible, but are better suited for smaller quantities of cuts.

I have the big Accucut studio cutter and don't think I could quilt without it! I don't find any more waste than when using a rotary cutter. It all comes with practice and a little forethought.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

I depend on my Go. It's as important to me as my machine. Maybe more. I can always hand piece a block.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

Same here!!
Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I still just cut with a rotary cutter. I prefer to oversize some of my pieces to then be able to trim them down to the perfect size. I am also on a limited budget.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
but....with the dies the shapes are exact and no trimming afterwards is required...thus perhaps saving on fabric. Granted the initial cost for cutter and dies is larger than rotary cutter, mat, ruler, but I do believe in the long run it is worth it...and dies can be accumulated, or not, as one's budget permits.
But these are personal choices we make...like what kind of sewing machine, where to buy fabric......
Old 01-25-2016, 08:17 PM

Lots of good info here. I just got the Accuquilt Go BIG (the electric one) and bought the strip bundle--which not only cuts strips of sizes 6.5, 4.5,3.5,2.5,1.5 &1"--these can all be subcut into squares or diamonds, or rectangles. I also bought the triangles in a square (like the Tri Recs rulers cut). It is so precise, quick and doesn't make my "bum" shoulder hurt.
I also have the Shilouette Cameo--it attaches to your computer and you can either download designs, use the program to draw your own designs, or scan a design in. It cuts paper, cardstock, vinyl, and fabric that has a fusible on it--only 1 layer at time. The Cameo is great for applique, but not practical for pieced work. I bought it so I could use it for all the materials listed and hoped it would encourage me to do more applique. Haven't really used it much for applique, more for other mediums. Will say it cuts fabric better if the design is not too complex.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:32 AM

Thank you for a wealth of info. I was so confused by all the different devices and how they actually work. I have been trying to be a better steward of my quilting money, so I didn't want to impulse buy. The electric Accuquilt is intriguing and I think I will cautiously investigate. I'll be looking for a good deal IF I decide to buy.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:41 AM

For strips, as well as shapes, I use my Alto's QuiltCut2. Not sure who sells them because the vendor I used has retired. I believe you can still find them on the net.